PDA

View Full Version : kill the mice, kill, kill kill, kill.....

jcadam
May 9, 2002, 12:15 AM
From www.ananova.com: (http://www.ananova.com:)

Mice eat �10,000 cash carpenter kept under floorboards

Mice have eaten the equivalent of �10,000 cash an Austrian carpenter kept stashed under his floorboards.

The man from Freistadt in Upper Austria thought he'd been robbed when he found the money was missing.

A few nibbled leftovers of his euro notes led him to the culprits.

The U-Express newspaper says he's hoping the Austrian National Bank will pay him compensation for his loss.

But the bank usually pays out for damaged money only if more than half the note is intact.

It hasn't commented on the case.

Mice don't usually eat paper, but euro notes contain cotton and are printed using non-poisonous dye.

Reports don't say what has happened to the mice.

The paper says he may have been keeping the cash under his floorboards to avoid tax.

Story filed: 12:35 Wednesday 8th May 2002

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: jcadam ]

astronomix
May 9, 2002, 03:22 AM
What an idiot ! He payed dearly for his greed (he obviously was trying to avoid taxes).

Agasthya
May 9, 2002, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by astronomix:
<STRONG>What an idiot ! He payed dearly for his greed (he obviously was trying to avoid taxes).</STRONG>

:rolleyes:

I know what the article says about avoiding taxes and all, but maybe he is one of those nuts that doesn't believe in banks.

The Dude
May 9, 2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by agasthya:
<STRONG>

:rolleyes:

I know what the article says about avoiding taxes and all, but maybe he is one of those nuts that doesn't believe in banks.</STRONG>

Ironic, because he's hoping to get compensated for the loss.

MikeM32
May 9, 2002, 07:13 AM
Verdict = idiot.

I'm also uncertain why the bank would compensate him for the loss when they weren't even handling the money.

It seems like common sense to me that if you even choose to keep that much cash around that you'd buy a small safe. If you're afraid of people seeing the safe then go ahead and hide it instead. While nobody would be expecting mice to eat the cash, what about a fire or some other disaster?

This thread should have been entitled kill the morons that keep 10 grand in the "cookie jar".

Mike

voodoo
May 9, 2002, 11:07 AM
MMice don't usually eat paper!?! Money is made of linen. *not* paper. Jeez.

Millennium
May 9, 2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by voodoo:
<STRONG>MMice don't usually eat paper!?! Money is made of linen. *not* paper. Jeez.</STRONG>
That depends on the country. In the US, it's made out of a bizarre paper/linen/cotton blend, and has been since 1920. They were considering changing this when they redesigned the bills, but decided against it, because the paper gives the money a unique texture that has been used to catch more than one counterfieter in the past.

But in some countries, the bills really are made out of paper (high-tech papers, often, but still paper). This can present a problem, though it is cheaper to make.