PDA

View Full Version : Convert .rm to .mov, DivX, or .mpg?

BlackGriffen
Dec 11, 2001, 03:26 AM
Is it possible? More importantly, on OSX or 9?

Thanx :)
BlackGriffen

Scrod
Dec 11, 2001, 04:47 AM
In OS 9? Probably not. In OS X? ffmpeg is your best bet.

v0id7
Dec 11, 2001, 08:10 AM
where does ffmpeg come from again?

starfleetX
Dec 11, 2001, 08:40 AM
ffmeg comes from http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/

Millennium
Dec 11, 2001, 11:15 AM
FFMpeg can convert old RM files to other formats. By old, I mean encoded for RealPlayer 5.0 or less; G2 and up won't work.

There is a program for Windows that can convert even G2 files to AVI format. Source is available, so it could be ported without much trouble. Just two problems: It requires RealPlayer, because it uses the libraries Real provides for decoding.
The AVI it creates is uncompressed, meaning that the result is really huge. You can recompress it yourself, of course, but first you have to have enough space to store the uncompressed AVI.

Zim
Dec 11, 2001, 11:34 AM
I'm having trouble getting this to compile... anyone else?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
zimmy:/Users/zimmy/ffmpeg &gt;make
make -C libavcodec all
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o common.o common.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o utils.o utils.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o mpegvideo.o mpegvideo.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o h263.o h263.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o jrevdct.o jrevdct.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o jfdctfst.o jfdctfst.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o mpegaudio.o mpegaudio.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o ac3enc.o ac3enc.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o mjpeg.o mjpeg.c
mjpeg.c:<font color = blue>429</font>: bad macro argument list
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode
make[<font color = blue>1</font>]: *** [mjpeg.o] Error <font color = blue>1</font>
make: *** [lib] Error <font color = blue>2</font>

</font>[/code]

this was on .45, also tried .44

Cheers,
Mike

lucylawless
Dec 11, 2001, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>FFMpeg can convert old RM files to other formats. By old, I mean encoded for RealPlayer 5.0 or less; G2 and up won't work.

There is a program for Windows that can convert even G2 files to AVI format. Source is available, so it could be ported without much trouble. Just two problems: It requires RealPlayer, because it uses the libraries Real provides for decoding.
The AVI it creates is uncompressed, meaning that the result is really huge. You can recompress it yourself, of course, but first you have to have enough space to store the uncompressed AVI.
</STRONG>

What's the program called? (!)
If you're talking about tinra (http://www.geocities.com/tinra04/), just last week I discovered a new version that supports compression codecs in avi. I've been converting rm files straight to divx for days. Problem is, the sound sync is way off in the resulting file. Not only that, but I'm starting to suspect that the framerate of either the input or output fluctuates, so that it's very very hard to get it back into sync. Using QT Mutator (http://homepage.mac.com/blibbler/dvdtutorials/synching.html) and quicktime pro, I've been working on one of my new divx files. So far, I've cut the 20-minute video into about 12 pieces, syncing each one individually. (and this is a cartoon with most of the talking obscured by masks, so it's one of the easy ones, oy) Then I'll have to piece them back together somehow. ...not exactly an easy conversion. I'd love to hear other people's experiences with tinra and/or syncing such a screwed up video...

Also, is it really as easy as you imply to port a windows program to unix/osx, even if Real ever gives us a player?

<font color = red>edit:</font> now that I'm thinking about it more (if that's possible), I started messing around with the 'stabilizator' on tinra's webpage, and it seems to be for the purpose of fixing the problem I was having. however, its documentation is beyond poor (the readme is not specific, and it was obviously generated by crude translating website). It seems to use an independent codec to establish proper sync, and I can't seem to get it to use divx for that final process (that is the one where your final file is produced). But I have to say that it works, it just takes a lot of trial and error on the settings. I've gotten one file out of it, compressed with huffyuv, which is about 1.2 gigs for a 20 minute video. You can compress that to divx with virtualdub (or anything else, I imagine), but you can't play it on a mac (huffyuv; you can play the divx).

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: lucylawless ]