PDA

View Full Version : The Apple smell

off/lang
May 4, 2003, 05:37 PM
Is it just me, or is there an Apple Smell? I mean, whenever I open a new Apple product or goto the various Apple Stores, there's always a consistant smell.

I noticed this today after getting my new 15gb iPod.

Am I crazy?

Spheric Harlot
May 4, 2003, 05:41 PM
I love the smell of my Powerbook.

oh, and yes.

definitely.

bradoesch
May 4, 2003, 05:43 PM
The FireWire cable that came with my iMac DV has this addictive smell that I just love. Makes me feel just like I did the day I got it. :) (it was my first Mac too)

misc
May 4, 2003, 05:44 PM
My iMac smells like burning plastic. It's been pretty consistant.. :)

SupahCoolX
May 4, 2003, 06:02 PM
The smell wore off my 1.5 year old iBook. I need another hit! I'm fiending for a fix... AHHH.....
:err: :D

Anomalous
May 4, 2003, 06:10 PM
Mmm... Apple smell...

Stubie
May 4, 2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by misc:

Uh oh .... You better go get your nose looked at.

Ozmodiar
May 4, 2003, 06:17 PM
my TiBook 400 i got in July of 2001 still has a little bit of the Apple smell. i love it.

DesignerTerp
May 4, 2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by off/lang:
Is it just me, or is there an Apple Smell? I mean, whenever I open a new Apple product or goto the various Apple Stores, there's always a consistant smell.

I noticed this today after getting my new 15gb iPod.

Am I crazy?

Oh my god, I'm not the only one!!!!!!
When I got my iBook, it had this great wonderful Apple smell...it doesn't anymore, but sometimes I think of just buying a new PowerBook just to get that smell back...

:D

Developer
May 4, 2003, 06:26 PM
I heard there are "smell designers" who create the odor of cars. I don't know if the same is true for computers (I don't think so. Apple would need sound designers first).

RGB
May 4, 2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Developer:
I heard there are "smell designers" who create the odor of cars. I don't know if the same is true for computers (I don't think so. Apple would need sound designers first).

If true, then the smell designers for Hyundai should be canned. When I bought my car last October it had a horrible smell to it, as did all the other Hyundais I sat in at the dealership. I was thrilled when the smell wore off.

I haven't purchased Apple hardware in almost four years now so I can't say I remember an Apple smell. When my new PowerBook comes next month though, I'll definitely check for it though :)

Adam Betts
May 4, 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by DesignerTerp:
but sometimes I think of just buying a new PowerBook just to get that smell back...

Haha, I thought of the same thing :D

xi_hyperon
May 4, 2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by misc:

"It tastes like burning!" :D

clod
May 4, 2003, 11:17 PM
I think I remember some article about people being allergic to that smell.:confused:

mathew_m
May 4, 2003, 11:33 PM
The Apple store should bottle the smell because yes it's addicting. I'm always worried someone is going to barge into my office and catch me sniffing on my iMac. People already think I have an Apple fetish.

Hey atleast it ain't as bad as smelling your own body odor...not that anyone here does that...right?;)

xylon
May 4, 2003, 11:40 PM
Hmmm, I must've missed it. I vaguely remember that my PB smelt kind of funny. It wasn't a very good smell, but then again, I was rushing to get that bad johnson up and running and wasn't really thinking about smelling my beautiful baby. Hmm, I still have the box around here somewhere...

Adam Betts
May 5, 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by xylon:
Hmmm, I must've missed it. I vaguely remember that my PB smelt kind of funny. It wasn't a very good smell, but then again, I was rushing to get that bad johnson up and running and wasn't really thinking about smelling my beautiful baby. Hmm, I still have the box around here somewhere...

Sadly, that is a sign that you does not belong to the club :(

MindFad
May 5, 2003, 12:17 AM
Ah, that new Mac smell. Comes only once every four years or so, and lasts about a week. I loved it when my room had the new-Mac-smell when I got me dual 800. Ahhhh, those were the days. And then I joined this forum, and ever since, it's been replaced with the smell of ass. ;)

Yes, Apple products have that new Apple product smell. :err:

iXavier
May 5, 2003, 12:18 AM
The Apple Store has it, too... It's a weird distinct plastic-y type of smell.

In any event, I'm glad the Apple Store employees are more friendly to you sniffing their products than the CompUSA employees.

X.

chris_h
May 5, 2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by iXavier:
In any event, I'm glad the Apple Store employees are more friendly to you sniffing their products than the CompUSA employees.

X.

Why would apple care if you sniffed compusa employees? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Zimmerman
May 5, 2003, 12:42 AM
The smell is plasitcs and electronics. You'll notice similar smells in most electronics, particularily motherboards. Mmmmm... love the smell of electronics.

MindFad
May 5, 2003, 12:45 AM
"Dude, WTF is that smell?"

"Oh, my motherboard farted."

Waaaaaah waaaaaaah. *shoots self*

off/lang
May 5, 2003, 11:25 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. Thanks all.

bradoesch
May 5, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by xylon:

Strange. Did you find a way to avoid the probe too?

daydreamer
May 5, 2003, 01:45 PM
aaaah, the Apple smell, indeed , it's the first thing you notice when you open up new Apple products. sweeeet smell... :)

imaxxedout69
May 5, 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by RGB:
If true, then the smell designers for Hyundai should be canned. When I bought my car last October it had a horrible smell to it, as did all the other Hyundais I sat in at the dealership. I was thrilled when the smell wore off.

I haven't purchased Apple hardware in almost four years now so I can't say I remember an Apple smell. When my new PowerBook comes next month though, I'll definitely check for it though :)

You bought a hyundai. Hhaha. Anyway, the smell is the glue from the carpet curing. :)

- Rob

Powaqqatsi
May 5, 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Developer:

Yep, I know Audi has a lot of them. Don't know about other car manufacturers.

mdc
May 5, 2003, 05:27 PM
the apple smell is awesome. i sat in my room sniffing away at my ipod box when i got it on friday. my box is closed right now, i want the smell to last for as long as possible.

swsteckly
May 5, 2003, 05:41 PM
I love the apple smell.

Every PowerBook I've had is exactly the same, and so are iPods. Wonderful. It usually lasts a 'few' months.

Desktops are cooler because the fans circulate the smell around the entire room, but it doesn't last very long.