PDA

View Full Version : Ah, G5 rumor... Real?

mac freak
Aug 17, 2000, 04:23 PM
I just found this: http://lowendmac.com/rumormill/2k0817.html

They say that all those configurations should be available by MacWorld San Francisco.

Will this happen? I would really *love* to see 1 GHz Mac processors, especially four of them in the same machine!

Evangellydonut
Aug 17, 2000, 05:44 PM
Doesn't sound very convincing and have a lot of "holes."

First of all, there's been absolutely no documentation on IBM's G5, nor and announcements for that matter. On the other hand, the more reliable source theRegister.co.uk posted an article regarind the Motorola's version of G5, which will feature 4 G4e cores.

Using IBM's commanding lead in copper chip technology
I suppose we'll see SOI and CHRP and while we are at it, use the Quantum IBM's tinkering around with for a long time...yeah, right...

G5 will include a 1 MB cache running at full CPU speed, which will range from 700 MHz to 1 GHz upon the chip's release.
How does the cache break-down in level? You certainly can't put all 1MB of cache at L1...so I'm presuming something like 128k L1, 512k L2 on die cache, or maybe upto 1MB L2 and 4MB L3...details on the cache itself is worth questioning.
Now, the CPU speed. The G4e from Motorola is scheduled for 700Mhz intro speed, and with Alti-vec (3 units?), why would Apple elect G5 over G4e, especially when Moto's G5s are less vaporware than IBM's?

It will also have less power draw than the G4, making it a candidate for top end PowerBooks.
That may be true...but if IBM let Motorola use its .14 Micron fab process, then Motorola will be able to release less power consuming G4s too...

Gotta admit though, IBM's Copper, SOI, fab process etc are far ahead of anyone else.

G5 "has legs" and will easily reach 2 GHz by the end of 2001
The G4's original theoretical speed limit was around 2 GHz or more too...see how far that's gotten.

The IBM PowerPC 750Cx (G3e) will be used in lower tier models such as the iBook and iMac, ranging in speed from 533 to 666 MHz and using UMA2 architecture, which includes a 133 MHz system bus.
This is actually probable...the only thing in this article that may be true.

The Power Mac G4 will come in dual and quad processor models using 500 MHz G4 processors on the current Sawtooth motherboard.
Again G4e and current UMA-1 Apple Mobo can be OC'd to 133, so why not this one too? Also, keep in mind the Apple product Matrix, which should have a Viao-like (probably superior than Viao) laptop to finish the last grid. No room for another line.

Power Mac G5 will ship in single, dual, and quad processor configurations with 733, 866, and 1,000 MHz processors on a new 133 MHz UMA2 motherboard. Apple will also have a PowerBook G5 running at 733 and 850 MHz, as well as a G5 Cube in 866 and 1,000 MHz versions.
Long before G4's release, there's been speculations regarding MP G4s, (as early as 1998, on AppleInsider.) but it was only released a month ago. Also, UMA2 is nice, but 133 Mobo will be slow by then standards. Currently, one company manufactures a 166 Mobo for PCs, and Intel is planning to use a 200Mhz DDR mobo (effectively running at 400Mhz) for P4 and Itanium. IBM has long announced a 400Mhz mobo, if Apple is leaning on IBM so much, why not use that?

The rumor sounds worse than the stuff Ryan Meader dreams up at MOSR...

Dragonlance
Aug 18, 2000, 02:21 AM
I think i have more faith in IBM than Motorola, after all, they are a "computer" company. I mean so far im very disappointed in Motorola, cause they havent gone past 500Mhz G4s in over a year now, While IBM has persued faster clock speeds, and better architecture.
But anyway, what happens to Alti-vec ? I know for a fact that IBM hasnt embraced it(and i dont blame them). But what happens to Apple no that they may ditch Altivec ? they managed to gain momentum for it, and now they are just going to drop it ?

MacNZ
Aug 18, 2000, 07:31 AM
Yeah, Motorola has caused a lot of problems recently. I think the bottom line is Apple should get as close to IBM as possible. Mind you, I don't think the G5 will be out till maybe right at the end of next year...........i can't believe such rumours.

mjb
Aug 18, 2000, 09:26 AM
i remember a year or two ago an article (or several) at maccentral and slashdot regarding the G5. IBM has been testing them for some time now.

paired with the fact that more and more people still don't get it, and though Apple gets good press, there's lots of murmuring about the "MHZ block." i think at some point Apple will have to bend to popular perception - steve's reality distortion can only last so long...

so, though i wouldn't expect it by January Macworld - i'd say give it another 6 months after that, or even another year - the G5 is coming soon. but i don't think apple with throw 3 different chips on the production line at once. too confusing. maybe they'll stick with those new G3+s (or whatever they are) and G5s in a year or so.

just my $.02

blizaine
Aug 18, 2000, 12:15 PM
Details are sketchy, but there may even be an iMac Special Edition with a G5 clocked at 666 MHz. Further details remain unknown

This would be the perfect computer for the Devil!

mkuehn
Aug 18, 2000, 01:15 PM
Do they even make or have made 666MHz processors today, on the not-Mac side? Or is that something they won't do, kind of like how you won't find a 13th floor in skyscrapers? I just noticed that in our elevator the other day. Seems pretty superstitious to me... http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/rolleyes.gif

Evangellydonut
Aug 18, 2000, 02:34 PM
I think in general, we Mac users are craving too much for faster CPU speed that we are willing to believe anything that's remotely possible. Why else would Xtreme Mac's site be flooded with so much traffic?

yeah, going IBM would be nice, but this rumor is almost as far fetched as speculations that Apple will go with Sun Sparcs.

we'll see what comes up in MacWorld SF...if no G4e, then Apple will be much more likely to jump ship.

Kozmik
Aug 19, 2000, 03:11 PM
You people obviously do not read Low End Mac much. "The Rumor Mill" was a plan come to fruition from Dan Knight, the guy who runs Low End Mac, as a parody of Mac rumor sites! He thinks the rumor sites are ridiculous often times, so he decided to parody them. Don't believe anything you read on The Rumor Mill, because it's all a joke!

blizaine
Aug 19, 2000, 06:33 PM
I believe everything I read on the net.

if it's on the net... it has to be true...