MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   Classic Extensions and OS X (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/119589/classic-extensions-and-os-x/)

owl_luvr Aug 21, 2002 12:08 AM
Classic Extensions and OS X
Does anyone know if there's a list of Classic extensions that are either no longer needed in OS X or which might cause an extension conflict with OS X? I've got 640 MB of RAM in my iMac, but Classic never completely starts up when I'm in OS X due to a conflict. (Unfortunately, I don't have Conflict Catcher.)

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Big Mac Aug 21, 2002 08:14 PM
There is no single set of extensions that could harm Classic. The best thing to do if you're having trouble running it under OS X is to use the elimination process. Boot into OS 9, go to the control panels folder in the Apple menu, and open Extensions Manager. When Extensions Manager opens, click the Duplicate Set... button so that you have a copy of your current extensions configuration. Then go to the selected set menu and choose the locked OS 9 : All configuration. Then go back to Startup Disk and boot into OS X. When you restart and open classic, you'll be running only the extensions Apple certified extensions. Next, go back to Extensions Manager and start reenabling extension packages a few at a time. Note which one you reenable, and then restart each time after enabling a couple. The time you restart classic and it fails to boot, that's when you know which extension (or which group of extensions) happens to be the culprit. Then you'll have to go back to OS 9, turn off the offending extension, reboot into OS X, open classic and verify everything worked out.

Note: While this is the traditional way to troubleshoot extensions, I did change one detail which is to use Classic while troubleshooting. I've never had to do it in this fashion, but things should work exactly the same way. Also note that I was thinking about telling the original poster to go to the Advanced pane in the Classic System Preferences Pane and startup with all extensions off, but when I did that on my machine all Classic applications I tried failed to launch. You may way to try it that way, though, since you should still be able to launch Extensions Manager through the classic Apple menu (if you can launch a Classic app in that mode) or by double clicking Extensions Manager in the Control Panels folder. By doing it this way, you can avoid having to boot into OS 9.

owl_luvr Aug 21, 2002 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Big Mac:
There is no single set of extensions that could harm Classic. The best thing to do if you're having trouble running it under OS X is to use the elimination process. Boot into OS 9, go to the control panels folder in the Apple menu, and open Extensions Manager. When Extensions Manager opens, click the Duplicate Set... button so that you have a copy of your current extensions configuration. Then go to the selected set menu and choose the locked OS 9 : All configuration. Then go back to Startup Disk and boot into OS X. When you restart and open classic, you'll be running only the extensions Apple certified extensions. Next, go back to Extensions Manager and start reenabling extension packages a few at a time. Note which one you reenable, and then restart each time after enabling a couple. The time you restart classic and it fails to boot, that's when you know which extension (or which group of extensions) happens to be the culprit. Then you'll have to go back to OS 9, turn off the offending extension, reboot into OS X, open classic and verify everything worked out.

Note: While this is the traditional way to troubleshoot extensions, I did change one detail which is to use Classic while troubleshooting. I've never had to do it in this fashion, but things should work exactly the same way. Also note that I was thinking about telling the original poster to go to the Advanced pane in the Classic System Preferences Pane and startup with all extensions off, but when I did that on my machine all Classic applications I tried failed to launch. You may way to try it that way, though, since you should still be able to launch Extensions Manager through the classic Apple menu (if you can launch a Classic app in that mode) or by double clicking Extensions Manager in the Control Panels folder. By doing it this way, you can avoid having to boot into OS 9.
Thanks, Big Mac. Following your instructions (I think), I started up Classic with all extensions off using the Advanced pane. After launching Extenstions Manager, I re-named what I had called OS X Classic Set to Old OS X Classic Set. Then, I made a duplicate of the OS 9.2.2 Base Set and named it OS X Classic Set. After doing this, I quit Extension Manager, only to be presented with a white square where the Extension Manager had been. Not a problem, really. I just quit everything I had running and re-started in OS X. To test my new Classic set, I dug up an old Word Perfect document as my 'Classic guinea pig.' It took a little time, and the screen refresh was noticeably slow (simply because it was noticeable at all), but that document opened nonetheless.

One of these days (don't hold your breath), I'll write down the list of extensions in my New Classic Set and my Old Classic Set. Eliminating the 'active' extensions that appear in both columns, I'll be left with my Old Classic list of suspect extensions, from which I will then exonerate the innocent & mercilessly eliminate the guilty (if possible). :)