MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   OS Switching at startup (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/148593/os-switching-at-startup/)

socalmac Feb 28, 2003 05:11 PM
OS Switching at startup
Hello,

I have been searching for an answer to this but cannot find it.

I know how to switch which OS I want to start 10.x or 9.x from the perferance panes.

however, is there a way to decide durning startup. Like some cntr+???

Gankdawg Mar 1, 2003 03:09 AM
Hold down the option key at startup. You will be presented with icons representing all of the valid startup disks. Be warned though, it takes a little longer for all of the choices to mount.

philzilla Mar 1, 2003 10:36 AM
also, holding down the X key will force it to boot straight into OS X

Brass Mar 5, 2003 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Hold down the option key at startup. You will be presented with icons representing all of the valid startup disks. Be warned though, it takes a little longer for all of the choices to mount.
But unfortunately, this is of no use if OS 9 and OS X are on the same disk, which is the default! I wish they'd fix this, or provide an OS 9 equivalent to holding down "X" to start up in OS X.

Fredo Mar 5, 2003 05:07 PM
You can choose the default startup disk in the startup disk control panel.

Brass Mar 5, 2003 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Fredo:
You can choose the default startup disk in the startup disk control panel.
And how do you do this during startup?
(which was the original question)

SpeedRacer Mar 5, 2003 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Brass:
And how do you do this during startup?
(which was the original question)
Only method i know of is to create another partition with your OS 9 System Folder. Then you can select your 9 partition from the list of disks in the OF screen.

If you don't want to waste a lot of space with OS 9, you can always just create a smaller (~500MB) partition for your 9 system files and then fool OS 9 into thinking it has all it's required Applications, Documents, Apple Extras, etc directories by using aliases to the real deal on your primary (X) partition.

Obviously this is not *exactly* what you're looking for, but a setup like this does offer you the benefit of an always-present emergency boot disk in case your OS 10 volume goes sour for any any reason.

HTH

Speed

Blanchard Mar 30, 2003 05:35 PM
cmd-x will boot into Mac OS X if 9 and X are on the same partition and that's the partition you're booting from

cmd-opt hold down onto second chime, will boot into OS 9

copied from a document called "magical macintosh key sequences", try google search

Cheers

P.S. Bring back Monica Lewinski!