MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   New to upgrading. . .help w/older iMac (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/197641/new-upgrading-help-w-older-imac/)

 
ClaraT Jan 16, 2004 12:15 PM
New to upgrading. . .help w/older iMac
Can I get my old iMac to work faster and better?

I've had to dust it off and resort to using it again, but it's like going backwards.

Here's the info:

iMac 333mhz 32mb/6gb/24x/56k . . .it also came with free 64mb ram so I think I have 96mb of ram.
OS 8.6

I can't use DSL or my HP 6110 printer. Guess because I don't have OS 9.1 or higher, right?

So what do I need to do? Should I install 9, 9.1, 9.2 or X.? I'm not very technically savvy and I don't want to spend alot as this is only a temporary measure because I can't stand the loud humming on this machine and the skittsh mouse and a few other things.

Is it a big deal to do an upgrade and is this what I need to do get back on my DSL?

Will appreciate all input and advice.
Thanks,

ClaraT
 
Captain Obvious Jan 16, 2004 01:00 PM
Re: New to upgrading. . .help w/older iMac
You don't need anything. Just go into your Apple menu, find TCP-IP and put it on the appropriate settings. It will probably be DHCP and make sure it is set to your ethernet and not your modem. Call your DSL tech support.
 
ClaraT Jan 22, 2004 09:27 AM
Re: Re: New to upgrading. . .help w/older iMac
Quote
Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
You don't need anything. Just go into your Apple menu, find TCP-IP and put it on the appropriate settings. It will probably be DHCP and make sure it is set to your ethernet and not your modem. Call your DSL tech support.
Thank you Captain Obvious. . .it took some jiggering between Eartthlink and Verizon, but I'm zipping along soooooo much faster.

ClaraT
 
bradoesch Jan 22, 2004 01:50 PM
Re: Re: Re: New to upgrading. . .help w/older iMac
Quote
Originally posted by ClaraT:
Thank you Captain Obvious. . .it took some jiggering between Eartthlink and Verizon, but I'm zipping along soooooo much faster.

ClaraT
I always try jiggering first thing.
 
ClaraT Jan 22, 2004 05:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: New to upgrading. . .help w/older iMac
Quote
Originally posted by bradoesch:
I always try jiggering first thing.
Yea, especially when you/re thirsty.

Say, if I wanted to install OS 9 on my iMac, what kind of gyrations would I have to go through to do this? I've got a hunch there's more involved here than just jiggering.

Is there an invisible, mystery button on the Apple Store website and a secret prayer that must be said to the Ram God to get to OS 9? Have those of us who never left OS 8.6 been banished to Apple purgatory for some sin such as not upgrading when they told us to?

ClaraT

;)
 
bradoesch Jan 23, 2004 01:56 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New to upgrading. . .help w/older iMac
Quote
Originally posted by ClaraT:
Yea, especially when you/re thirsty.

Say, if I wanted to install OS 9 on my iMac, what kind of gyrations would I have to go through to do this? I've got a hunch there's more involved here than just jiggering.

Is there an invisible, mystery button on the Apple Store website and a secret prayer that must be said to the Ram God to get to OS 9? Have those of us who never left OS 8.6 been banished to Apple purgatory for some sin such as not upgrading when they told us to?

ClaraT

;)
It takes a lot of jiggering to get OS 9 from Apple. You have to buy Panther and then pay $20 for them to ship you an OS 9 CD. I suppose you could then sell Panther on eBay or something, but it's a bit of a pain. There are other online and catalog retailers that sell older versions of the Mac OS. Some of them still advertise having 7.6 for sale. Most should have OS 9 still.

Brad

p.s. Make sure not to displease the RAM god. Good luck finding OS 9 if you do.
 
bradoesch Jan 23, 2004 01:59 PM
I just thought about QuickTime VR. Apple still sells it. They won't give that one up.


http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/..._vr_studio.jpg
 
Captain Obvious Jan 26, 2004 05:58 AM
You can buy OS 9 from a couple stores. Look in the back of any macworld magazine and I am sure you can a find retail sellers.

But I wouldn't.
OS 8.6 supports most of the features that OS 9 does and is about as stable. You won't gain much from buying OS9 unless there is some piece of software that requires 9, and there are not many that do.

If you end up doing it, then just take your ethernet cable and back up your personal files to your laptop by plugging it in. You can create a mini network and trasfer the files through Appletalk.
Then you can choose to do a straight upgrade from 8.6 to 9 or do a clean install of the OS and wipe out your hard drive first. Doing a clean install is usually better but it does require you to back up everything you can't replace first.
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2