MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   How to Install Classic on OSX 10.3.3 (

Wet Jimmy Mar 17, 2004 06:54 AM
How to Install Classic on OSX 10.3.3
Hi all,

Hoping that someone can assist me - I want to install classic on 10.3 but can't figure it out. I've got a copy of OS 9.2.1 and tried to simply copy the System folder across to a Classic folder. Classic Preferences picked this up, and started to launch, but then informed me that you can't run Classic from a folder that has been copied off the original media. So obviously a straight copy won't work. And I can't boot from the CD either (running a Powerbook 17, BTW).

Can anyone provide basic instructions on what to do to get this running? The OSX help is next to useless.

Many thanks,

philzilla Mar 17, 2004 10:54 AM
have you got another machine you can install it on? if so, you can drag it from there, once installed. failing that, i think you're pretty much looking at a wipe/reinstall operation. it's a pain, for sure, but that's the only way i know of.
lenox Mar 17, 2004 12:59 PM
The system restore disc(s) that came with your computer have an OS 9 installer package on them, for classic support. From what I can remember, you can just run the software restore app and tell it you want classic. Otherwise, the .pkg is in a hidden dir, afaik.
Wet Jimmy Mar 17, 2004 07:46 PM
Thanks for the assistance! Not the answers I was HOPING for, but at least I can stop mucking about. I suppose this weekend is as good a time as any for a rebuild ;)

lenox Apr 16, 2004 12:23 PM
You don't need to rebuild's a simple package install.