MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   upgrading from 8.6 to 9.2.2... (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/211926/upgrading-8-6-9-2-2-a/)

fisherKing May 5, 2004 11:24 AM
upgrading from 8.6 to 9.2.2...
my friend has an old ibook with 8.6.
i want to upgrade her to 9.2.2...i have the upgrades, but need os9.

we have the iMac disks, and i have my old powerbook 9 disks...can we use either, or do we need the commercial os9 disks? and...is this downloadable anywhere?

thanks!

bradoesch May 5, 2004 02:29 PM
Your OS 9 CDs are hardware specific, and likely won't work with the iBook. Most people on here report them not working.

As far as downloading OS 9, we can't talk about that here.

I'd check out the back pages of MacAddict or MacWorld and see what the prices look like for OS 9 CDs. They should be pretty cheap now.

bowwowman May 23, 2004 03:17 PM
As far as downloading OS 9, we can't talk about that here
And just why not ???

OS 9 is not LEGALLY downloadable anywhere that I know of...they'll just have to buy a copy.

There, I said it! so sue me :)

theory May 24, 2004 09:19 PM
My imac (G3) came with os 9.1 CDs and i was able to install it on a 4400/200.

Your OS 9 CDs are hardware specific, and likely won't work with the iBook. Most people on here report them not working.
So what problems are incountered?

Gregg May 26, 2004 11:42 AM
My iBook came with an OS9 CD as well as X of course. I installed 9 on my desktop, which had been running 8 before. It installed a few things that were specific to the iBook. There was no harm leaving them there, but I deleted them anyway. Since then I have purchased an OS9 CD, and now have one to go with both machines, wherever they are.

bradoesch May 26, 2004 10:23 PM
Originally posted by bowwowman:
And just why not ???

OS 9 is not LEGALLY downloadable anywhere that I know of...they'll just have to buy a copy.

There, I said it! so sue me :)
I couldn't care less if you download it or not, I was just stating the forum rules FYI. ;) Piracy discussion usually means lockination.

bradoesch May 26, 2004 10:25 PM
Originally posted by theory:
My imac (G3) came with os 9.1 CDs and i was able to install it on a 4400/200.

So what problems are incountered?
Well, I just read Tooki's post in another thread here, and he says later OS 9 CDs aren't hardware specific. YMMV.

DewD May 29, 2004 02:00 PM
9.2.2 is NOT machinespecific
I suppose the Apple Goons will be busting down my door after posting this , but----- My 2nd hard drive on my old G3 Beige is running OS 9.2.2 , which I installed from my ladyfriend's iMac disks ( 15-inch, Jaguar ). I did this for one reason only : to get Open GL 1.2.2 to run my Radeon 7000 graphics card at full 3D capability.

FYI- The documentation with the iMac disks says the Classic Installer will run on all the older G3 machines and of course all the G4's as well...