MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   Running Classic OS 9 on my Pismo w/OS X10.3.5??? (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/232139/running-classic-os-9-my-pismo/)

 
bgotori Oct 17, 2004 12:38 AM
Running Classic OS 9 on my Pismo w/OS X10.3.5???
Hey All

I've got OS X10.3.5 running and started Classic OS 9. But it doesn't seem to do anything. Same screen and all... What am I doing Wrong???


Thanks!!!

Brad
 
Eriamjh Oct 17, 2004 09:52 AM
You may have to reinstall classic.

Does OSX detect your classic installation in System Preferences?
 
bgotori Oct 18, 2004 12:31 AM
Hey Eriamjh

Thanks for the reply!!!

Yes it shows it as 9.2.2(System Pref), it seems to run when I do the change over, but the Screen is still the same as when I'm in 10.3.5??? Or is that whats supposed to happen???


Thanks!!!

Brad
 
Eriamjh Oct 19, 2004 10:09 PM
Oh, I see.

Classic is working fine.
You have to start an Application in Classic in order to "see" anything.

Get a classic app from version tracker if you have none.

The Apple menu bar will change to the OS9 look and the windows of the Classic app will have the "platinum" appearance. That's about all.
 
bgotori Oct 20, 2004 12:00 AM
Hey Eriamjh


Ok thanks!!!

One other question. If I load 10.3 first on a New drive and then load OS 9.2.2 will I get a Classic setup in my 10.3??? Or do I have to load OS 9.2.2 first to get the Classic setup in 10.3???


Thanks!!!

Brad
 
Big Mac Oct 22, 2004 03:13 AM
Quote
Originally posted by bgotori:
Hey Eriamjh


Ok thanks!!!

One other question. If I load 10.3 first on a New drive and then load OS 9.2.2 will I get a Classic setup in my 10.3??? Or do I have to load OS 9.2.2 first to get the Classic setup in 10.3???


Thanks!!!

Brad
Mac OS X's Classic environment does not display the Mac OS 9 Finder or desktop, which is probably what you mean by Classic setup. The Classic environment allows you to run Mac OS 9 applications in OS X. Just start Classic and launch your OS 9 applications. They will run alongside your OS X applications. In order to use Mac OS 9 like you're used to using it, you have to boot into OS 9. Early versions of OS X ran Classic in a separate window, which seems to be what you want. Apple changed Classic so that it would run in the transparent way it now runs. There also used to be hack to get Classic to run in window mode, but I haven't heard anyone successfully doing that with recent versions of OS X.
 
bgotori Oct 22, 2004 04:53 AM
Hey Big Mac

Thanks!!!

So when I load OS 9.2.2 OS X 10.3 will have a Classic setup or is Classic part of the base OS X install???

I'm a Newbie to all this Mac stuff, last Mac I had was a Mac SE.


Thanks Again!!!

Brad
 
Eriamjh Oct 22, 2004 07:03 PM
Quote
Originally posted by bgotori:
Hey Big Mac

Thanks!!!

So when I load OS 9.2.2 OS X 10.3 will have a Classic setup or is Classic part of the base OS X install???

I'm a Newbie to all this Mac stuff, last Mac I had was a Mac SE.

Thanks Again!!!

Brad
Load OS9.2 FIRST. Then install OSX. OS9 is NOT part of OSX. You cannot do it the other way around because OS9 will detect OSX as a newer operating system and not install.

Unless, of course, you install on separate partitions (which is the best way to do it).
 
bgotori Oct 22, 2004 07:57 PM
Hey Eriamjh

So if I load 10.3 first with a Partition for 9.2.2 will OS X 10.3 see it an run it as Classic, or is this just to keep everything seperate with out seeing each other???


Thanks Again!!!

Brad
 
bradoesch Oct 24, 2004 07:07 PM
Quote
Originally posted by bgotori:


I'm a Newbie to all this Mac stuff, last Mac I had was a Mac SE.
Nice upgrade. Welcome to OS X. If you like System 7 (or 6?) I think you're gonna love X! :D
 
Big Mac Oct 25, 2004 04:15 PM
Quote
Originally posted by bgotori:
Hey Eriamjh

So if I load 10.3 first with a Partition for 9.2.2 will OS X 10.3 see it an run it as Classic, or is this just to keep everything seperate with out seeing each other???


Thanks Again!!!

Brad
It's not entirely true that you can't install OS 9 after OS X is installed. All that is required in order to run OS 9 in the Classic environment is a functional OS 9 System Folder. You can take OS 9's System Folder from another working Mac and just copy it to the first (root) level of the hard drive. You could also have them on different partitions, but I've read that's not the best idea because it may cause the drive head extra work constantly moving between the two partitions. In any case, once you have a valid OS 9 System Folder, you can either launch an OS 9 application or go to the Classic pane in System Preferences to start Classic manually. The system will automatically find the System Folder.
 
bgotori Oct 26, 2004 04:15 PM
Hey All

Thanks for the Info!!!

I've got a 10gb drive I'm going to play with and see which way work better for me.


Thanks Again!!!

Brad
 
webb3201 Oct 28, 2004 12:21 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Load OS9.2 FIRST. Then install OSX. OS9 is NOT part of OSX. You cannot do it the other way around because OS9 will detect OSX as a newer operating system and not install.

Unless, of course, you install on separate partitions (which is the best way to do it).
I agree on the multiple partitions.

Build a 1gb partition for OS9 and install it in that spot (you can store applications and data on the larger OSX partition). then you can install the OSes in whatever order is convienient for you. You can still use the OS9 install as your "classic" instance in OSX(just use the preference panel in OSX to point to that system folder.

Example on a 10gb drive
1gb of OS9
the remainder for OSX and applications/data.

ps...drives are so cheap, you may want to take this chance to upgrade.
 
bgotori Oct 28, 2004 02:29 PM
Hey webb3201

Yea, I've got a New 80gb drive for my Pismo, and will play with the 10gb drive that I will replace it with, and play around with it on a extrenal carrier(FireWire/USB).


Thanks!!!

Brad
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2