MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Retrieving files from System 6 Mac II (

mduser63 Jan 7, 2005 04:19 AM
Retrieving files from System 6 Mac II
I have an old Mac II running System 6 that has a bunch of files, mostly images, audio files and Word documents that I'd like to get off of it. It boots and runs perfectly fine, but it only has 800K floppy drives, which apparently can't be read in any of the USB floppy drives (at least none that I've come across). Does anybody have any suggestions for accessing the files on it? Ideally I'd like to find a way to read the floppies on a new Mac, but neither of my newer Macs have floppy drives, let alone floppy drives that will read 800 K disks. Does anybody know of a USB floppy drive that will read 800 K disks? If not, do you have any other suggestions?
BLAZE_MkIV Jan 7, 2005 02:49 PM
Sounds like you need to beg barrow or Goodwill a late 68k or early powermac to do your sneaker netting.
Eriamjh Jan 7, 2005 09:56 PM
There is no such thing as a modern floppy drive that can read the old 800K buggers. Blame Apple for that.

You need a more modern mac that can network with the System 6 mac via Appletalk serial. That will allow you to put the data on a regular 1.44MB floppy.

Maybe you could contact your local Apple MUG and find someone with a museum of Macs.