MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   HUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaah !!!! Driving me NUTS ! (

micha schraven Aug 13, 2000 04:26 PM
HUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaah !!!! Driving me NUTS !
Can anyone tell me what that the indexing of my harddisk is good for? HOW DO I SHUT IT OFF?

because about every time i am in a program that doesn't use the finder (like starcraft) this O SO USEFUL gadget kicks in, knocking me out of the game !

Apple : get organised yourself!
WDL Aug 13, 2000 06:02 PM
Got to your Sherlock Menu and turn off FBC Indexing Scheduler.

The purpose of the Indexing is so that you can find a file by simply entering a word or phrase within a document for example.

Mine's turned off too - if you file with some order, who needs it - and the unexpected interuptions bother me when I'm doing something.

Gregory Aug 13, 2000 08:15 PM
I didn't think Indexing was automatically set by default to run, let alone more than once a day.

I do it once a month manually, and then just by label to do the Documents folder.

It helps to double the setting for Preferred partition size (Extension Folder => Find => Find By... and it also runs faster. (Same with Extension Manager - loads/updates when launched if you double IT'S Preferred also.... seems to be a chronic problem with way too many programs and vendors - having to go through all of that after every install.)

Misha Aug 13, 2000 10:24 PM
You can also just disabled the Find By Content and FBC Indexing Scheduler extensions (which I'd do anyway if you don't plan on using that feature -- I never do).
yoyo52 Aug 13, 2000 11:30 PM
Like Misha, I've disabled my extensions too. Indexing is probably a useful idea for some people with messy filing, but I agree with WDL that with some order in filing you don't need to index.

[This message has been edited by yoyo52 (edited 08-13-2000).]
Phaedrus Aug 14, 2000 12:36 AM
I believe you can set it to run on a schedule, also. So if you do want to use it, just set it to index during times that you wont be using the computer.

It's a very nice feature--you can find files quickly and precisely. Using Windows to find something takes forever while it searches the C:/ drive, and even then it may not find it. Sherlock is an example of Apple at their best..

Gregory Aug 14, 2000 11:26 AM
Find by Content and FBC Indexing can be enabled when you want to use and disabled at other times. Same with Software Update - no reboot necessary. - Greg