MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   OS Hangs on startup (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/43649/os-hangs-on-startup/)

matt.lenkowsky Sep 4, 2000 03:47 PM
OS Hangs on startup
I'm running a Bronze keyboard w/ os 8.6 which for some reason has decided to hang significantly on startup. It is as if it is launching some background program, but I don't know what it is and can't disable it. Nothing is appearing in my extension manager out of the normal.

This has been occurring for a little while now, and I think it may be an extension issue. When running off the boot disk or other startup disk there is no problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem & what I can do to fix it? It is is giving me serious grief, and I want to solve the problem.

Could it be the network I am on? Appleshare doesn't always work properly in the building I am in for some reason or other. Don't know why.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,
ml

grendle Sep 4, 2000 06:14 PM
are you on network? I too have seen a lag in my start up before, but only when other computers are on my network and that lag is my computer connecting/comunicating to he other coputers...

matt.lenkowsky Sep 4, 2000 06:46 PM
I am on a network, but I don't think that is the problem - I ran a conflict catcher test and managed to make the lag a little bit shorter.
Thanks
ml

[This message has been edited by matt.lenkowsky (edited 09-04-2000).]

Veerle Sep 5, 2000 04:13 AM
Try removing your recent servers from the apple menu and see if it still happens. Is it before you get the Extensions ? If it happens before you get the mac face check if your startup disk is correctly set, you can do this with the system profiler in the Apple menu.

Cipher13 Sep 5, 2000 04:40 AM
check if your startup disk is correctly set, you can do this with the system profiler in the Apple menu.

Just use the Startup Disk control panel to select the right disk. If a startup disk is not choosen it means the computer will just search for one (and really take its time).

Cipher13

Veerle Sep 6, 2000 05:32 AM
>check if your startup disk is correctly set, you can do this with the system profiler in the Apple menu.

What I meant is that you can check if your HD is set as startup disk with the system profiler. Sorry about that.

Hap Sep 6, 2000 02:08 PM
Do you try to log onto any servers at startup? If you do and they are not avalable that would account for your slowdown and why it does not occure if you boot from the CD or another disk. Also make sure to check the startuo disk control panel to make sure it's set up how you want. Ie booting from the Sys folder/HD you want. If none is selected or it can't find the one that is that would also slow down booting while it looked for a valid Sys folder to boot from.

Thanks for your time
Hap

------------------
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

matt.lenkowsky Sep 6, 2000 04:45 PM
Thanks for all your help everybody -

Re: Startup disk. That wasn't the problem. It was starting off the correct system folder.
The problem occurs after all the extensions and what not are loaded. I can see the desktop picture is loaded, as well as the time, but the hard drive doesn't show up for a little bit of time.

Thanks for all of your suggestions - unfortunately, it hasn't gotten a whole lot better yet.
Anyone have any other ideas?
thanks
ml

Cipher13 Sep 6, 2000 09:25 PM
Do you have any large aliases in the apple menu/pop up windows? (this is the topic of some controversy, as to whether the aliases in the Apple Menu slow anything, but anyway...)
How many items on the HD?
Tried rebuilding the desktop?

Cipher13

MemphisMac Sep 6, 2000 10:35 PM
I'm having the exact same problem. A blank desktop and the clock load, but the rest of the stuff takes an extra 2-3 minutes.

Stuff I've tried but hasn't worked:
- Zapping the PRAM
- Removing the desktop picture
- Taking the alias to the hard drive out of the Apple Menu
- Disk First Aid

I eagerly await either A)reading an answer here or B)posting an answer myself.

MemphisMac Sep 7, 2000 01:05 AM
EUREKA!!!! (with a catch)

Shared Library Manager PPC is the extension that is causing the slowdown and subsequent system instability.

I took the whole extensions folder and moved it to the desktop, and then replaced the extensions a group at a time until I found the culprit (Shared Library Manager PPC).

However, I have created another small problem. None of the Internet and network-oriented apps will work because they can't find a few Open Transport things.

Help.

oscar Sep 7, 2000 04:37 AM
Shared Library Manager PPC isn't likely the cause, It prolly just disabled networking to much that you had no problems. If you have macsbug installed, when in one of these pauses, break into macsbug and type bye then type g

------------------
-See Yea!

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 09-07-2000).]

anne arkee Sep 18, 2000 07:22 PM
figured it out, deactivate the OpenTPTSNMPlib and SLPplugin extensions!