MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   What's new in 9.2.1 (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/43767/whats-new-in-9-2-1-a/)

electroJerm Aug 22, 2001 03:41 AM
What's new in 9.2.1
I have a Quicksilver 733 with original 9.2/OS X (4R14) Installation.

What, if any advantages are there in 9.2.1? I couldn't seem to access any TIL articles on Apple's site about this. What are the changes from 9.2 to 9.2.1?

And in other threads I've heard about a "liquid" theme in the Appearance control panel. Is this indeed an Apple theme? Or is it third party? I doubt it would be Apple's considering their stance on themes. Any reccomendations on a good Aqua theme that I can use instead of Platinum in the Appearance control panel. I've started using OS X as my primary OS and would like get rid of the ugly GUI differnces when using Classic.

- Jerm

jamesa Aug 22, 2001 04:35 AM
I want to know what's new, too. I see no point in d/ling a new update when everything seems fine as it is :)

Any big benefits? I'm not using classic much, but I do reboot to 9 occasionally.

Thanks,

-- james

macvillage.net Aug 22, 2001 09:18 AM
Well, I posted my take on Mac OS 9.2.1:
http://macvillage.net/news/articles/9984830662053.shtml

I think it is well worth the download.

osiris Aug 22, 2001 12:34 PM
What is new is that older machines (my G4 350, 400 and another 400 - each with 512mb of ram) are now slower than ever. Under X, classic now takes over a full minute to launch. Too slow for me, I have to go back to 9.1 now. And what's up with the long pause when the desktop is mounting - there's a new A 'beach ball' effect from X under 9?!

I can only assume that this update was intended for new machines :mad:

edited: I learned that the 'beach ball' effect is the network connecting.

OS 8.6, now that was an update. OS X.0 to 10.1 will be quite an update. 9.2.1 I'm not so sure about.

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: osiris ]

OverclockedHomoSapien Aug 22, 2001 04:30 PM
I've found that apps seem to load faster. Maybe the finder is a bit faster, but probably not. It does take a bit longer to launch, but I can live with this if I get faster app launch times. I haven't used it long enough to be able to judge stability.

Overall it seems like a solid update. Thanks Apple.

trash80 Aug 24, 2001 04:27 AM
i don't know whether it was more a case of my 9.1 being corrupted
but since i installed 9.2.1 i can now read my own burned audio
CDs again, and AVCDs work without giving me a "unknown format"
error beforehand. its made the install worthwhile anyway :)

WTWolfe Aug 24, 2001 04:49 AM
There is also the new "Window" menu in the Finder with a few cool keyboard shortcuts. And yes I have to agree that Apps seem to load and run a little faster. This is also the first time (I think since upgrading to 9.1) that the Extension Manager has worked on my G4. Also Unreal Tournament looks much better!!! :D The new updated ATI drivers make my Radeon Video card very happy! I think this is a pretty significant upgrade if you ask me.

trash80 Aug 24, 2001 08:08 AM
wasn't the finder window menu in 9.1?

fisherKing Aug 24, 2001 09:12 AM
the "2".
the 2 is new.
you insert it between "9" and "1" -
voila! 9.2.1

updating:the madness continues...

chris v Aug 24, 2001 04:36 PM
Can't find any big differences, but so far, Illustrator 9, which was giving me hell in 9.1, has run for 2 days straight without crashing! This makes me really, really happy, as it was most apt to crash when I'd go to "save as.."

Maybe things are a little faster, but not by much. Does seem like the "March of the Extensions" during startup goes by a good bit faster, but when I timed my G4 450, it still took exactly three minutes from chime until I could launch an app. (I've got an @ss-load of extensions, and it really hangs at my audio card extensions-- like 20 seconds)

I think my Cube at home starts up signifigantly faster than that, but I haven't timed it yet.

There's several new extensions you don't need if you're not running OS X yet.

CV

bluedog Aug 24, 2001 05:51 PM
Originally posted by WTWolfe:
<STRONG>There is also the new "Window" menu in the Finder with a few cool keyboard shortcuts. And yes I have to agree that Apps seem to load and run a little faster. This is also the first time (I think since upgrading to 9.1) that the Extension Manager has worked on my G4. Also Unreal Tournament looks much better!!! :D The new updated ATI drivers make my Radeon Video card very happy! I think this is a pretty significant upgrade if you ask me.</STRONG>
What do you mean by 'much better!"? Do you mean the performance is better (in FPS), or better looking as in FSAA enabled? I've been dying to get the full performance from the Radeon in my dual533 and can't believe the FSAA is not available!

With the new ATI cards on their way, its like promising 'we can have FSAA with these cards' and then waiting so long to get it they never bother because they have something newer and better.

Its wrong to sell something with the 'promise' whether it is a real in-print promise or simply implied. I love the card and can't stand the company for whomever is involved in not getting this done. ATI has complained its Apple who needs to implement it in their OpenGL. Just get it done!

Vsx1 Aug 24, 2001 10:31 PM
I recently noticed that I can only move down 5 levels (or menus) under the new OS (9.2.1). My setup has an alias of my Documents folder in the Apple menu. As I move deeper into the folders I found that after 5 menus (folders deep) the sixth level (or folder) would not display the right pointing triangle indictating that there are more folders:

apple menu&gt;
documents&gt;
pictures&gt;
audio&gt;
home&gt;
speakers &lt;-this a folder (missing little arrow)

Any thoughts? Fixes?

PHoynak Aug 25, 2001 03:21 AM
From what I can see so far all this did was make my iMac more unstable than ever. Toast crashed today 4 times with type 3 errors and I made 4 coasters today. That's more than I made in the last 3 months. To me this is a step backwards. :mad:

dogzilla Aug 25, 2001 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Vsx1:
<STRONG>I recently noticed that I can only move down 5 levels (or menus) under the new OS (9.2.1).</STRONG>
This limitation has always been in the MacOS. There aren't any fixes that I know of.

AppleScript Aug 26, 2001 01:10 AM
There are some new features in the Keyboard control panel. The Disc Burner bug with creation/modification dates has been fixed. I haven't really poked around 9.21 yet, so I can't say if much else changed(except for the fact that Open Transport loads second at startup, but anybody running 9.21 has seen that already.)

(77)

Cipher13 Aug 26, 2001 03:06 AM
Originally posted by dogzilla:
<STRONG>

This limitation has always been in the MacOS. There aren't any fixes that I know of.</STRONG>
Download BeHierarchic. Well worth it.
Apple Menu Manager. It rocks.

P Aug 26, 2001 04:14 PM
The ATI-drivers are updated, and OpenGL looks nicer on my old Rage 128. Anyone remember OpenGL 1.0 to 1.1? Thousands of colors turned a lot quicker but also a lot uglier. Now it looks like it did in 1.0 again, but even faster.

This is not the case in RAVE, however - it still looks the same.

It's also supposed to wake faster from sleep, but I have yet to see it wake up at all, so I can't tell. The new sleep feature is buggy as...

blot Aug 27, 2001 09:55 AM
OS 9.2.1 works great on my Ti 500. None of the problems mentioned so far.

rytc Aug 29, 2001 07:59 PM
You can get the liquid theme from here http://www.opuscc.com/download/index.shtml
It works with the Appearance negating the need for Kaleidoscope etc.

cu RY

fisherKing Aug 29, 2001 11:19 PM
up thru 9.1, when i used the volume up or down keys on my pismo, a slider appeared in the center of the screen.

just now, while in IE, i used the volume key & the slider in iTunes moved...& not even the front app!

is this new with 9.2.1? (& if it is, i'm pointing it out) :rolleyes:

Cipher13 Aug 30, 2001 05:47 AM
Whats new in 9.21:

Keycaps. Yay. Black keys. Woo.

chris v Aug 30, 2001 10:53 PM
Originally posted by fisherKing:
<STRONG>up thru 9.1, when i used the volume up or down keys on my pismo, a slider appeared in the center of the screen.

just now, while in IE, i used the volume key & the slider in iTunes moved...& not even the front app!

is this new with 9.2.1? (& if it is, i'm pointing it out) :rolleyes:</STRONG>
This would also appear to be the case on my end. If iTunes is up, I've gotta use the volume slider in the control strip to adjust the system volume.

CV

blot Aug 31, 2001 11:31 AM
Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>

This would also appear to be the case on my end. If iTunes is up, I've gotta use the volume slider in the control strip to adjust the system volume.

CV</STRONG>
or u can use the opt shift and vol keys - as posted in other threads.

<sig2> Aug 31, 2001 04:24 PM
[Second push on "open tray" button works nuw as "close (CD-ROM) tray"

Regards,
Jochen