MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   TCP/IP and Network Time Server (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/44057/tcp-ip-and-network-time-server/)

Storyboy Sep 19, 2000 01:52 AM
TCP/IP and Network Time Server
After a clean install of OS 9 and an update to 9.0.4 I can't set the time on my machine to a network time server--I am told that I should check to see that TCP/IP is set-up correctly...both of the TCP/IP condfigurations I have set-up work fine with the ISPs I use...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Anonymous Coward Sep 19, 2000 02:03 PM
Are you using an AirPort network? NTP and X (as in X-Window) do not get passed through an AirPort. http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/frown.gif

MacScientist Sep 20, 2000 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Storyboy:
After a clean install of OS 9 and an update to 9.0.4 I can't set the time on my machine to a network time server--I am told that I should check to see that TCP/IP is set-up correctly...both of the TCP/IP condfigurations I have set-up work fine with the ISPs I use...

Any thoughts?

You access the network time server just fine at home, but can't do it at work? If that is the case, then I have been having the same problem. Actually, my computer at work will, on occasion, access the time server.

Our network at work is controlled by WinNT and MIS people who are obsessed with security. My computer at home is connected to a cable modem. Both are set up using DHCP. I suspect that the problem lies in the security measures installed on my firm's network.

[This message has been edited by MacScientist (edited 09-20-2000).]

NicB Dec 21, 2000 06:37 PM
I'd got fed up with the Network Time Server option not working, and disabled the Time Synchroniser extension. After reading this thread, I tried something: my normal internet dial-up is using Surf Doubler but when I switched to direct dial-up using Remote Access, it worked straight off! I guess this reinforces the DHCP theory.

spicyjeff Dec 21, 2000 07:34 PM
Everyone is going to have a different experience here. It all depends on what each persons ISP/Work LAN/Cable Company allows to pass through their routers. If they do not allow NTP packets to pass, or have flaky router banks that are configured improperly you might get intermitent functionality with Network Time Sync.

NicB Dec 21, 2000 09:08 PM
"...what each persons ISP/Work LAN/Cable Company allows to pass through..."

Doesn't apply here - same ISP, same phone company, same dial-up phone number, machine at home (G4) with internal modem connected directly to the phone line. The only difference is if I use SurfDoubler I can't get time sync; if I use Remote Access I can. No amount of changing settings in SD will change this...

spicyjeff Dec 22, 2000 12:16 AM
NicB:

Exactly. SurfDoubler is a type of software router. (highly basterdized version of one but one none the less) And it is most likely not allowing NTP traffic through. NTP is a protocol just like HTTP and FTP...ny suggestion in this case is either research it on the SurfDoubler site or in their documentation or email/call their support team.

NicB Dec 22, 2000 06:41 AM
spicyjeff:

Thanks for the insight! I'd considered that the piece I quoted was the critical part; instead I should have focussed on "..pass through their routers." I will investigate and post if I'm successful. Thanks again!

NicB Dec 22, 2000 07:29 PM
Well, in my case at least, it was a simple fix. I posted a query on VicomSoft's support web page, and within an hour had an individual reply - from a real human! Turned out I needed to enable "multihoming" in the prefs (it's not covered in the manual I have) and everything is now fine. I don't yet understand what "multihoming" is though...