MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   Stuffit Expander not working with 9.0.4 (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/44068/stuffit-expander-not-working-9-0-a/)

macmanmk Sep 20, 2000 12:57 PM
Stuffit Expander not working with 9.0.4
I just upgraded from my Lombard PowerBook to a Pismo. I performed a clean installation of the System software. Just about everything is in working order except Stuffit Expander and MacLink Plus. Actually, MacLink works except for decoding (which I believe uses a Stuffit module) and Stuffit opens but will not decode. I get a message that the applications quit because an update is required for compatibility with the improved MacOS filesystem. Any ideas?
Here's what I've done so far: re-installed both Stuffit Expander and MacLink Plus with their most updated versions. Rebuilt the desktop (several times), trashed the Finder Preferences, Stuffit preferences and MacLink preferences. Disk First Aid found nothing wrong with the disk. I wanted to run Disk Warrior to see if there were problems with the directory, but the hardware enablers needed for the Pismo with OS 9.0.4 aren't on my Disk Warrior CD, so I can't boot from it.
Being unable to decode downloaded files is getting to be a real pain in the rear end. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

MK

MacScientist Sep 20, 2000 01:49 PM
Originally posted by macmanmk:
I just upgraded from my Lombard PowerBook to a Pismo. I performed a clean installation of the System software. Just about everything is in working order except Stuffit Expander and MacLink Plus. Actually, MacLink works except for decoding (which I believe uses a Stuffit module) and Stuffit opens but will not decode. I get a message that the applications quit because an update is required for compatibility with the improved MacOS filesystem. Any ideas?
Here's what I've done so far: re-installed both Stuffit Expander and MacLink Plus with their most updated versions. Rebuilt the desktop (several times), trashed the Finder Preferences, Stuffit preferences and MacLink preferences. Disk First Aid found nothing wrong with the disk. I wanted to run Disk Warrior to see if there were problems with the directory, but the hardware enablers needed for the Pismo with OS 9.0.4 aren't on my Disk Warrior CD, so I can't boot from it.
Being unable to decode downloaded files is getting to be a real pain in the rear end. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

MK
Do you have the Stuffit Engine installed? You may have discarded it during your clean installation. I think that requires the installation of DropStuff.

You have the latest MacLink Plus Deluxe 12?

Have you set Stuffit Expander as the app to handle *.hqx, *.sit, etc. files in your File Exchange control panel? Have mapped these extensions to Stuffit Expander under the Advanced tab of your Internet control panel?

macmanmk Sep 20, 2000 02:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. The problem seemed to be not with the Stuffit Engine, but with the Stuffit Engine Power Plug extension. Once I replaced it, the application worked again. I still can't decode with MacLink 12, but that's fine.

MK