MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Ethernet Problems (

Tibby Sep 24, 1999 10:10 PM
Ethernet Problems
I have an iMac and a blue G3, both with ethernet cards installed. I have an ethernet cable which works because i use it to connect to my college ethernet network. I've taken all the steps that i can find online. I've choosen ethernet as the network connection in both the TCP/IP and Appletalk control panels. I've set file sharing and program linking on. I've gotten the sharing info of both computers and allowed all people read and write access. However, not once has either computer shown up in the Chooser. Instead of using my ethernet wire to connect to college ethernet, i want to use it to directly connect my iMac and blue G3. If anyone has any suggestions, i'd greatly appreciate it.
Ster Sep 25, 1999 01:42 AM
hi there,
you'll need a crossover cable to directly connect two machines. they look just like a normal ethernet cable, but the internal strands are twisted differently than normal category 5. check with a local radioshack or computer specialty store and see if they have crossover cables, which are sometimes also called 'direct connect' cables, i think.
hope that helps,