MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Did I trash my firmware or what? Please help! (

PeterParker Sep 7, 2001 09:31 AM
Did I trash my firmware or what? Please help!
I could work with my Cube pretty fine until yesterday evening. When I restarted it, it just showed the Folder Icon which replaced itself with a question mark again and again, you know this. This was not new to me, as I had still forgotten, to say in Startup volume that my startup volume should be my os 9 partition (It was set to a cd some days before). However, it lasted at least 5min until this above described thing appeared. And then also if I wait 30min, nothing happens. Did I trash my firmware? I already plugged out all my hardware and I have put in a system cd, nothing happens. Any help?

Thank you!
theolein Sep 7, 2001 03:47 PM
Have you tried pressing the option key on start? This is not a firmware problem, It sounds as if your systemfolder cannot befound on any disk.
PeterParker Sep 7, 2001 04:43 PM
However, as It lasts so long, I believed until now, that it is a firmware problem. When I press alt while starting It searches a long time and never finishes!
jog Sep 7, 2001 09:08 PM
insert the original CD that came with the cube while pressing C, that will force a CD boot. then run Disk First Aid and set your startup disk again.