MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Does anybody make sound schemes anymore? (

Randycat2001 Apr 8, 2001 09:12 PM
Does anybody make sound schemes anymore?
Seems like there were a bunch made and put online over at the Donuts sight, and then nothing for a long time. Doesn't anybody like sound schemes anymore for the same reason there continues to be Kaleidoscope schemes?
giantmike Apr 8, 2001 11:42 PM
I think people are realizing that there really isn't anything in a sound theme. Just some highly repeated sounds that get very annoying, and can cause stability problems.

Just my 2

The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
tonton Apr 9, 2001 04:36 AM
How can a sound theme create stability problems?

By the way, I highly recommend the "Dimple" Mac OS theme (not Kaleidoscope) set. The "Platinum" sound set is very metallic, and matches "Dimple" and the TiBook perfectly.

"Dimple" and a few other themes can be found here.

Edit: server seems to be down. Hopefully not forever... it was a nice site.

[This message has been edited by tonton (edited 04-09-2001).]
Randycat2001 Apr 9, 2001 10:35 AM
Now that's more like the response I was expecting!

BTW, I get a forbidden permissions warning message when I try that link.

[This message has been edited by Randycat2001 (edited 04-09-2001).]
pete.z Apr 9, 2001 11:57 AM
same warning here,forbidden,no permission.
tonton Apr 9, 2001 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Randycat2001:
BTW, I get a forbidden permissions warning message when I try that link
It seems like the site was just updated yesterday, so I bet it'll be back up soon.

Here is the google cache of the site. Unfortunately, the links and images on the site don't work.
tonton Apr 9, 2001 01:04 PM
Okay. Here's the direct download link for Dimple.

Use it with the Apple Platinum sound set for best effect. Looks great on Titanium.

Oh, and find a ResEdit resource for iTunes and Sherlock and Movie Player called "Smooth". That'll finish the look.
Randycat2001 Apr 9, 2001 01:15 PM
Is this a soundset or a UI scheme?
VRL Apr 10, 2001 05:17 AM

Where I go to get some sounds sets.
Randycat2001 Apr 10, 2001 11:37 AM
You can get a whole boatload of em at:
iSilver Apr 10, 2001 05:37 PM
I found the MOSR link the best one, must have about 100 soundsets there, thanks for the link.
Randycat2001 Apr 10, 2001 08:15 PM
Oops! I misread your comment. I read too fast and thought you were asking where to find sound schemes.
ctt1wbw Apr 10, 2001 09:22 PM
TonyRado Apr 11, 2001 03:16 PM
I recently purchased a Ti500. This is my first OS upgrade in about 5 years. (I refuse to abandon 7.5.5 on my desktop). Anyway, what ever happened to the "quack" alert sound!!! It doesn't appear to be on OS 9.1 and I even searched a few sites (e.g.,, etc) but can't seem to find it. Is it available for OS 9.1 and does anyone know how/where I can get it?
Randycat2001 Apr 11, 2001 03:41 PM
Yes, that and the "eep" sound were hysterical warning sounds! I think you can regain use of those alert sounds by just copying the corresponding files from the system suitcase of your old system folder and putting them into the system suitcase of your new system folder.
TonyRado Apr 14, 2001 12:02 PM
The problem is that I cannot find any of the specific sounds (i.e. "quack" "eep," etc.). I have even tried placing the older "sound extension" into my extensions manager and disabling the new one. Nothing works . . . Whenever I open the sound control panel I get the same OS 9.1 choices everytime.
Randycat2001 Apr 14, 2001 10:05 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, you didn't need to do all that. Get rid of all that stuff you added. All you have to do is copy the "quack" and "eep" file from an older system suitcase over to your new system suitcase. Restart and you should be able to see the additions in the alert sounds list along with the default sounds.
TonyRado Apr 15, 2001 12:15 AM
Brilliant!!! The problem was that I was looking for an object w/ the name "suitcase," instead of the suitcase icon. Thanks
Randycat2001 Apr 15, 2001 12:28 AM
I hope you didn't swap the entire suitcase in OS9.1. I don't know if there are any side-effects that could come from doing that. If you doubleclick on the suitcase icon, you will find the specific alert sounds inside there. That's what I meant for you to transfer, not the entire suitcase folder. Drag'n'drop them into your existing OS9.x suitcase folder, not replace it outright.

[This message has been edited by Randycat2001 (edited 04-15-2001).]
TonyRado Apr 16, 2001 12:12 PM
Thanks for your help. BTW,I did *not* sawp the entire suitcase.
giantmike Apr 16, 2001 08:15 PM
Originally posted by tonton:
How can a sound theme create stability problems?
Sorry, I haven't been arround lately to respond. But I have heard of problems with a few applications (noteably earlier versions of disk first aid, and the font first aid application that came with the 8.6 font manager update) and having sound sets enabled. Plus, with taking up system resources to play sounds, you are oviously going to have a greater chance of conflicts.

The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Randycat2001 Apr 16, 2001 08:39 PM
Honestly, I have not observed the level of conflict that you have cited here. The soundsets work rather well with minimal interference to the rest of the system, due to their multithreaded nature within the system since OS 8.5.1, at the least. I just think the "cool" index easily outweighs any kind of potential problem they cause, as a matter of justifying their use on my system. I'm sure there are badly-hacked examples of soundsets out there that will give your system problems, but I have yet to come across one, and I'm sure you will know about it the moment it does conflict (enough to promptly excise it from your system). On the whole, the soundsets I've tried at Donuts work just fine.

(BTW, I\'m quite honored with this topic getting mentioned on MacNN news page! I feel like a celebrity now! ...well maybe for another 15 min or so...)

[This message has been edited by Randycat2001 (edited 04-16-2001).]
chrogers Apr 17, 2001 02:30 AM
check out I think this is same dude that runs a listserve about MS Internet Outlook.
Sweet Basil Apr 17, 2001 03:48 AM
Soundsets did cause system problems (like crashing) when they were first added. Been there, seen that.

However, on recent versions of the OS and with plenty of RAM I have had no problems running Apple's Platinum soundset on several different Macs.
giantmike Apr 17, 2001 08:48 AM
Sounds good guys. Just make sure to watch out for them if you plan on geting a soundblaster card:

[This message has been edited by giantmike (edited 04-17-2001).]