MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   Startup Folder Dilemma (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/44556/startup-folder-dilemma/)

Meadowfield Feb 10, 2000 08:38 PM
Startup Folder Dilemma
Here's a curios one...

I can launch the PALM DESKTOP without a problem on my DVSE w/ OS9 until I put an alias in the Startup Folder. All the other Aps launch without incident - and I even see the Palm Desktop file open fully - but then, after the other Ap in the sequence opens, the Finder calls for my attention and advises, "The Application PALM DESKTOP quit unexpectedly because of a TYPE 1... restart."

Fine, increase the memory, right. No go. Rearrange the order w/ _'s and 's. No go. Reistal the software. Nope.

Any ideas, cause I plum ran out.

Thanks in advance!

dnguyen Feb 11, 2000 11:53 AM
Have you tried puting a 1 in the front to get it to launch first?

Meadowfield Feb 11, 2000 11:59 AM
no, but the _ (or space) before the name does the same thing. Thanks all the same though.

Anyone else?

disectamac Feb 11, 2000 12:31 PM
I'm no expert but it seems to me to be a simple conflict between apps starting up around the same time. Maybe 2 apps are trying to access certain parts of the OS with in a period of leading to your Error Restart message.
Try putting the Palm Desktop in the start up folder alone. Start up. if it runs smooth try it a again with 2 items in the start up folder. If it runs smooth try 3 items and so forth until you find the one that conflicts with Palm Desktop. This may take you a good 20 minutes depending on how many items you have in your startup folder but you should be able to find the conflicting app(item)

What other items are in your Startup folder?

Edited part: I just realized I replied to a Mac OS 9 topic. I don't even have OS 9 (yet) sorry. Try it anyway, I don't see why this shouldn't resolve your problem.

[This message has been edited by disectamac (edited 02-11-2000).]

Meadowfield Feb 11, 2000 01:06 PM
Great Scott, good idea! I'll give it a whirl and let you know later today.

BTW, the others are IE, OE, Q98 - nothin' fancy.

Thanks!

Paul

ps: Not a whole lotta difference in OS9 over 8.6, and I agree with someone who wrote recently that it should have been called 8.7 instead. The only way to get it to run right was to perform a clean install requiring much to much drag & drop from the previous for my taste. Wait for X.

Meadowfield Feb 12, 2000 01:08 PM
Oh well... putting the alias of the Palm Desktop (or the data file) by itself did not even work. In fact, now, after the application launches and I see my calendar it quits with the same error detailed previously and defaults to the Finder. But now the Finder is greyed out! I also noted a quick flashing dialog after the error that said "file not found." How's that for a clue? Fortunately I was able to get to the Ext Mngr and remove the alias from the startup folder and restart without a problem.

I'm out of ideas?

Anybody else?

Paul

Trapper Jun 8, 2000 02:05 PM
Meadowfield:

I seem to be experiencing the exact same problem you describe. Did you ever figure out what was wrong, and if so, can you tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
threno@julian.uwo.ca

Meadowfield Jun 8, 2000 04:45 PM
Travis,

No, I never did figure it out and i finally had to remove the alias from the Start Up folder. Now, after a few months a more clean installs than I care to admit, I am able to do so successfully. Not sure why. It may have something to do with the transfer - or moving rather - of the palm file into the new system from, in my case, a zip disk. One might have better results if you do a hot sync before the clean install and then sync back to your pc from the handheld rather than dragging the file around.

Good luck!

Paul

tonymac Jun 8, 2000 11:11 PM
You may want to try this:
create a simple applescript to open the palm desktop app (ie.
tell application "Palm Desktop"
activate
end tell
Save it as an applet in your startup items folder. Also, if you install the free WaitTicks addition (from www.osaxen.com) you could add
WaitTicks 60
at the beginning which would give you 1 second delay after the last app loads until palm desktop loads.
I'll try this on my G4 tonight when I get home.

oscar Jun 9, 2000 04:48 AM
I'd say Palm Desktop might use file sharing services, and if it's starting up, it might act funny (crash) The applescript above might work, i think waitticks might grab the whole system for that long.

------------------
-See Yea!

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 06-09-2000).]

tonymac Jun 9, 2000 10:15 AM
Actually waitticks allows background processing by default. If you want to disable background processing during the wait, you use
WaitTicks {30,FALSE}

Trapper Jun 9, 2000 08:58 PM
I seemed to have fixed the problem. I trashed the Palm Desktop pref. file, and I increased the the app. memory. One of these seemed to have done the trick. No more crashes at startup.

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
threno@julian.uwo.ca