MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Sound Manager 3.6.3 does not fix DVD sync (

slboett Feb 18, 2000 10:49 PM
Sound Manager 3.6.3 does not fix DVD sync

Well, I hoped, I installed, I watched. No good. iMac DV SE still has the dreaded DVD sync issue. This sucks. I'm pissed.

drewman Feb 19, 2000 01:24 PM
At the very least, Apple has admitted that it is a deep rooted problem in the OS with 4 or 5 different components needing updating.

I think this is the 3rd component that has been updated, so we are getting closer.

1st - Quicktime 4.1
2nd - Audio Update 1.2 then 1.3
3rd - Sound Manager 3.6.3

Since they admitted what they need to do and are proceeding to do what is looking like deep system sync problems, let's let them update 4-5 components before throwing our iMacs out the window.

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 02-19-2000).]
slboett Feb 19, 2000 03:51 PM

I totally understand the "depth" of the problem, but since these new iMacs and G4s have been shipping for well over two months, I would seriously have expected this to be fixed by now! How many Macs does this problem effect - 1 million? More? I dunno. But if I were Apple, I would make this the number ONE priority right now. This is nothing if not totally embarrassing at work where the Mac has finally been given some entry back into coporate offices. I'm normally pretty calm waiting for fixes, but this one IS LONG OVERDUE.

gyc Feb 20, 2000 03:28 PM
why would anyone be watching DVD's at work?
slboett Feb 20, 2000 05:46 PM
Well, let's see...I work at Universal Studios. Think long and hard.

gyc Feb 20, 2000 10:42 PM
Well, My impression when you say "corporate office" would be the business offices (e.g. accountants, lawyers, etc) at Universal...
slboett Feb 20, 2000 11:40 PM
And again, I work at a studio...even lawyers can have reason to view DVDs in the office!
So, now that the thread has deteriorated...

gyc Feb 22, 2000 01:34 AM
cool job you have then...

anyway, back on topic... when I first got my iMac DV, I couldn't notice any syncing problems, but now that I'm patched up with Sound Manager, QT4.1, etc... my audio now is ahead of the movie instead of the other way around...