MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   Power Windows (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/45167/power-windows/)

 
MM-o4 Apr 24, 2001 01:10 AM
Power Windows
Has anyone else got it. It's a control panel that keeps the windows full when you drag them around the screen instead of an outline. It also makes all pop out windows transparent. REALLY COOL! http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/biggrin.gif
Sorry I can't give a link cause I can't remember where I got it. It could of come from CNet.com or off a MacWorld CDROM. If you find it, get it cause its cool.

Has anyone else found something cool yet functional and not just icandy like this. If so post them I would like to check them out. http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif

MM-o4
 
Cipher13 Apr 24, 2001 02:26 AM
Power Windows: http://www.versiontracker.com/redir....indows-245.hqx

Waste of processor time, RAM, and HD space.
Try OSX, you'd like it.


------------------
http://homepage.mac.com/cipher13/.Pictures/ciphsig.gif

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 04-24-2001).]
 
caifara Apr 24, 2001 05:48 AM
Taskmenubar, replaces the control strip and the application switcher by putting their icons in the menu bar:

find it here .

-c

[This message has been edited by caifara (edited 04-24-2001).]
 
Gary Patterson Apr 24, 2001 10:49 AM
I installed Power Windows a few years back and within a couple of days I'd registered it.

Sure, it uses processor cycles, but when I'm in the Finder the Mac is waiting on me (ie it's a very user-focused event loop) so it's not as if those cycles would be used by another process.

It enhances the experience of using a Mac, and that's worthwhile.

Have a look on Version Tracker for Gravite - a great hack that's actually useless but brilliantly done.
 
TriPhaze Apr 24, 2001 07:20 PM
Cipher 13 wrote:

Waste of processor time, RAM, and HD space.
Try OSX, you'd like it.


Power Windows is great. X is a waste of CPU time, RAM and HD space. Total crap! Long live Classic Mac OS!
 
OverclockedHomoSapien Apr 24, 2001 11:48 PM
I downloaded Powerwindows a few months ago. It was deleted from my HD faster than you can say "Quartz".

Like Cipher said, "Waste of processor time, RAM, and HD space.
Try OSX, you'd like it."

I'll add that powerwindows slowed down the interface and made my G4 400 feel slower than the Powercomputing 120MHz computer I use at work. Total waste of system resources. The sad part is that Powerwindows is faster than OS X. Maybe Apple should hire the shareware programmer who wrote Powerwindows and put him to work on rewriting Quartz and Aqua so they don't feel like early 80's technology.
 
TriPhaze Apr 25, 2001 05:32 PM
Hmm, well I run Power Windows and Kaleidoscope on an 8500/180 (233MHz 604e CPU) and my machine is still very fast. You must have other conflicts. This is with Mac OS 9.1 - 128MB of RAM.
 
MM-04 Apr 26, 2001 08:54 AM
Cipher 13 right on que! Do you have any fun? I ain't Dissen ya, just that your always on that "waste" and that stuff. But thats cool. I just like to give a bit of personality to me computer.
I run Kaleidoscope aslo and find my G4/400/384mb sweet as, not slow at all! I find that strange 'OverclockedHomoSapien' but each to their own I guess.

'caifara' I'll peep that link out, thanks for puttin it up.

Both you guys are right about OSX i would love it, since it is full of useless icandy for the pure reason of the 'Oooh' factor fro marketing it. I will wait till it supports everything especially burners and the DVD player and has been tinkered with a bit more.

Have a nice day http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/biggrin.gif

MM-04
 
Ivan Apr 26, 2001 10:10 AM
I really like the power windows. I put it on my Powerbook 1400c/G3, because it can't run OSX, I added powerwindows, Kaliedoscope with the Aqua III scheme, Greg's Browser, the A-Dock, and the Aqua sound sets and you couldn't tell that it wasn't OS X, except for no Terminal. :^)

[This message has been edited by Ivan (edited 04-26-2001).]
 
Cipher13 Apr 26, 2001 11:13 AM
Quote
Originally posted by MM-04:
Cipher 13 right on que! Do you have any fun? I ain't Dissen ya, just that your always on that "waste" and that stuff. But thats cool. I just like to give a bit of personality to me computer.
I run Kaleidoscope aslo and find my G4/400/384mb sweet as, not slow at all! I find that strange 'OverclockedHomoSapien' but each to their own I guess.

'caifara' I'll peep that link out, thanks for puttin it up.

Both you guys are right about OSX i would love it, since it is full of useless icandy for the pure reason of the 'Oooh' factor fro marketing it. I will wait till it supports everything especially burners and the DVD player and has been tinkered with a bit more.

Have a nice day http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/biggrin.gif

MM-04
Just wondering if you are the same person as the original poster why aren't you using that account... I'm gonna have to assume you're an imposter... http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/wink.gif

Well, my Macs have character, and personality - but they don't need to express it through their looks http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/biggrin.gif

Most people would think my G4 was boring as... Platinum, plain black background, low temperature screen white point, running in 256 greys quite often... etc... but I hate using anything else http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/wink.gif (apart from my other Macs, which are quite similar in characteristics...)

Oh well. Whatever floats your boat, or sinks your ship.


------------------
http://homepage.mac.com/cipher13/.Pictures/ciphsig.gif
 
Ivan Apr 26, 2001 01:10 PM
But you have a really nice signature though Cipher http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif

Wish I knew how to do that.
 
Cipher13 Apr 26, 2001 07:26 PM
Thanks http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif
Its a lot easier than it looks... elipse selection tool to get the "C" (muck around with it till you like), make it red... clouds... bevel/emboss the layer... same with your text (I didn't use a text mask though... just did it manually...)


------------------
http://homepage.mac.com/cipher13/.Pictures/ciphsig.gif

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 04-28-2001).]
 
MM-o4 Apr 28, 2001 06:24 AM
Narr it was me, just forgot my password. But it's all good Cipher! http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif

MM-o4
 
Cipher13 Apr 28, 2001 06:31 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Ivan:
I really like the power windows. I put it on my Powerbook 1400c/G3, because it can't run OSX, I added powerwindows, Kaliedoscope with the Aqua III scheme, Greg's Browser, the A-Dock, and the Aqua sound sets and you couldn't tell that it wasn't OS X, except for no Terminal. :^)

[This message has been edited by Ivan (edited 04-26-2001).]
...I'll bet its faster than the real McCoy too http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/wink.gif


------------------
http://homepage.mac.com/cipher13/.Pictures/ciphsig.gif

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 04-28-2001).]
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2