MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Internal computer ID ? - Acrobat Reader (

sapone1 Mar 17, 2000 11:57 AM
Internal computer ID ? - Acrobat Reader
I have observed the Acrobat Reader show an internal computer ID in the 'WebBuy' dialog
( CPU-ME0050E4B0D91424 on my computer ).
How can I access to this ID from MacOS API (I am a C++ 'in house' developer)?

Sorry for my english.
RobertHammen Mar 18, 2000 01:38 PM
That's probably your computer's Hardware Ethernet Address (look in Apple System Profiler, under the System Profile tab, under "Network Overview", under "AppleTalk".

How you get that programmatically, I don't know, but I know it can be done...
John Strung Mar 18, 2000 06:18 PM
That's right. That is the identifier for the ethernet card installed in the computer, not for the computer itself.

If you go to

and search on 0050E4, that will identify an Apple Ethernet Card.
Forrest Johnson Mar 19, 2000 02:33 AM
The system serial number is listed in the System Profiler -- could that be used as a machine ID? If so, how is it extracted? (The Profiler pulls it from somewhere and I assume that the Auto-Registration function does, too.)
Dieder Mar 19, 2000 04:32 AM
Re: System Profiler & how it knows what your system serial # is.

This is because when the computer leaves the factory that a number of additional bits of information are written to the stock hard-drive that comes with the computer. One is easily viewable and is what you get in the 'Get-Info' box when you get-info on the hard drive. This 7 digit (3-4 format) number is the software bundle # of the computer.

The remainder of the information is not easily accessible and is accessed by the Apple System Profiler. Doing a format of your startup drive will delete this information.
Hiram Mar 19, 2000 05:12 AM
Could this number be used like the Pentium ID number that caused so much concern in connection with privacy violations, not too long ago?

I'm asking because I am responsible for ICT issues (and related things like privacy) for a political party in the Netherlands.
cfoster611 Mar 19, 2000 09:57 AM
Microsoft used to put your ethernet ID in every word document you made, they also included other data like the harddrive path to word or even the Id3 tags of the mp3s you were playing (although that was really rare).
But, after the Mac community yelled and screamed about it, MS released a updater that stops this pratice. Note, however, that Windows Word still does this, so if you open up a Mac document in a Windows version of word, don't be surprised to find personal inforamation of that Windows machine inside your document.
Big brother isn't coming : he's already in your living room.
Forrest Johnson Mar 24, 2000 12:56 AM
"The remainder of the information is not easily accessible and is accessed by the Apple System Profiler. Doing a format of your startup drive will delete this information."

I tried this on my iBook since I hadn't installed anything on it yet so it had the least to lose. I even went so far as to write zeroes to all locations. It still reports the serial number after the format.