MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   "Illegal Instruction" Error On Startup (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/46085/illegal-instruction-error-on-startup/)

takaplan Jul 13, 2002 10:32 PM
"Illegal Instruction" Error On Startup
Hi,
This is my first post; hopefully someone can help me.

I have a G3 with Mac OS 9...when I boot up, I get an error "Illegal Instruction" and I have to restart. The only way to boot up is to use the Mac OS 9 CD or use extensions off.

By toggling the extensions, I narrowed it down to Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC as the cause of the problem. When I turn them off, I boot fine. But no programs work without them on (they give errors about not being able to access certain lib files). However, after I reinstalled new copies of Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC from my system CD, I still crash on startup.

Can anyone help me? I zapped my PRAM and updated disk drivers...is there any way to solve this without reinstalling Mac OS?

Thanks!

IUJHJSDHE Jul 13, 2002 10:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by takaplan:
<strong>Hi,
This is my first post; hopefully someone can help me.

I have a G3 with Mac OS 9...when I boot up, I get an error "Illegal Instruction" and I have to restart. The only way to boot up is to use the Mac OS 9 CD or use extensions off.

By toggling the extensions, I narrowed it down to Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC as the cause of the problem. When I turn them off, I boot fine. But no programs work without them on (they give errors about not being able to access certain lib files). However, after I reinstalled new copies of Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC from my system CD, I still crash on startup.

Can anyone help me? I zapped my PRAM and updated disk drivers...is there any way to solve this without reinstalling Mac OS?

Thanks!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hmm, there might be a problem with the extensions, or some other extention causing a problem that that extention is suffering from.

I am not sure, try looking for the same extensions on the boot disk and try swaping them.

What sort of error at startup is it? sad mac? Bomb error?
:confused:

Vanquish Jul 14, 2002 09:21 AM
try to reboot a few times, sometimes it just starts working. If not try to replace the Shared Library extensions with copies from an other computer (from a friend or so) your versions could be corrupt. If that doesn't work I suggest to simply do a new clean-install.