MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   CD Burning in MacOS 9.1 - HELP! (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/46484/cd-burning-macos-9-1-help/)

nicholasbs Jun 23, 2001 08:04 PM
CD Burning in MacOS 9.1 - HELP!
I'm trying to install LinuxPPC on my new iBook Dual USB. To install, I need to burn a bootable CD. Is there anyway to do this in 9.1 (without shelling out $100 on Toast)?

I can't (actually, I can :() believe that Apple would ship a machine that couldn't burn a bootable CD.

HELP! I'll gladly except any ideas (freeware, shareware, hack, anything)

Thanks in advance,
-Nicholas

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: nicholasbs ]

s•lid snake Jun 24, 2001 12:17 AM
You could go to version tracker and search for apple disc burner which is free but doesn't have much features as toast does. I hope that will help you.

nicholasbs Jun 24, 2001 01:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that is what I'm currently using.

Any other ideas, or is it pretty much Disc Burner, Toast, or nothing?

-Nicholas

GreenMnM Jun 24, 2001 01:45 AM
Disc Burner 1.X will not burn a bootable CD see: Disc Burner TIL

You will need to get Toast right now to make a bootable CD. At least the TIL does say that Disc Burner "1.X" will not make a bootable CD, maybe that means that Disc Burner 2.X will!

-Doug

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: GreenMnM ]

Cipher13 Jun 24, 2001 10:32 AM
Try NeroMAX maybe. I dunno. Haven't tried it yet.

S•lid snake, I must ask... how do you enter your name on a PC?

Heh...

s•lid snake Jun 24, 2001 03:06 PM
Another idea is to download hotline and search for toast but you will need a serial for it.

iPaul UK Jun 24, 2001 08:23 PM
Another idea is to buy Toast! It's not exactly Adobe PhotoShop prices you know..

Richard Clark Jun 26, 2001 04:02 PM
Recently I purchased a CD-R/RW (Sony) firewire drive to work with my G4/450. Originally I thought that the Apple CD Burning software would be enough.

It didn't take long to find out otherwise. Like you I wanted to burn bootable CDs. The Apple Software does not allow that. :(

I broke down and purchased Toast Titanium from MacWarehouse for $80.00. IT'S WORTH IT! There are a number of programs that come with Toast that can be extremely helpful (i.e. jacket covers, jewl cases) There is even software included allowing conversion of LP's to CD.

If you can flip the $80.00 for Toast. You won't regret it! I wondered when I did but after using it for about a month I couldn't live without it. And the bottom line is that I can make bootable CD's

Best of luck!

:)

nicholasbs Jul 2, 2001 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to buy a copy of Toast in the next few weeks.

Thanks again,
-Nicholas