MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   OS9 and Greek? (

phobos Jun 9, 2000 10:17 AM
OS9 and Greek?
The last damn week I installed the f*#$)#*
OS9 on my iMacDV.Now I can't read properly Greek.I had MacOS 8.6 which had greek.Now I
can't write greek in Photoshop and in Quark.
How can MacOS9 can fully support greek without buying the greek version of OS9?
Also I noticed some hangs with OS9 which I
didn't have them with OS8.6.When I choose to open a picture in Photoshop I wait a lot when I see the preview of the first picture which
didn't happen with os8.6
Also how can I reduce the size of the ram that the OS is taking?I don't want the os to take 43MB of RAM!!!I have 192MB of memory but I want to use it for other purposes.
I would be glad if you could help me.
Could a clean install cure the problem of hangs?
phobos Jun 9, 2000 10:41 AM
Clean installation erases all the other things in the hard disk or just creates a new system folder ant the old system folder and the thing installed puts them in a drawer?
Vasily Jun 9, 2000 12:58 PM
A clean install moves all your old system folder things to a folder called (I think) Previous System Folder. You can then move things over to the System Folder selectively: open both side by side, move a few things over, restart, and verify that your system works OK. Repeat until you have the stuff you need. I'd recommend keeping the remainder of Previous System Folder around for a while Just In Case. If you have Conflict Catcher, you can use the System Merge feature to help you do this.