MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   HD won't spin down. (

Storyboy Dec 7, 2001 07:51 PM
HD won't spin down.

This morning I woke to find my screen dark and the power light pulsing yellow, but the hd was still spinning. I didn't think this was possible.

Then when I hit a key, the pulse is gone and the screen is back, but ordering a spin down through the Energy Saver Control Strip does not work, until I restart.

Any thoughts on what might cause this? Just to check it out, I reverted from ES 3.0.5 (came with 9.2.1 upgrade) to ES 3.0.4 (from 9.1). Still waiting to see if that fixes it.

Has anyone out there experienced this issue? Seems to be the only issues I ever have with my iMac are sleep-related. Now it is I who must rest.

Storyboy Dec 9, 2001 12:30 PM
Well, I've reverted back to 9.1 and downlaoded Sleeper and I guess that fixes my problem, though I am curious to know why my 9.2.1 won't spin down the HD.

Doc Juansinn Dec 9, 2001 03:02 PM

What are the settings in the Energy Saver control panel? On my platinum G3 with OS 8.6, my HD will only spin down when I select a spin down time in the control panel. Otherwise, choosing "sleep" from the Special menu will only sleep the monitor. If I want the HD to spin down, I have to open up Energy Saver, check the " separate timing..." box, move the slider from "never" to "60", and close Energy Saver. What a drag!