MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   How to UNINSTALL PROGRAMS in Mac? (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/47048/how-to-uninstall-programs-in-mac/)

LeonThePro Jul 7, 2001 12:35 PM
How to UNINSTALL PROGRAMS in Mac?
Hi. This is a silly question. I am still wondering how I can uninstall programs in Mac OS 9.1 and X?

I am used to Windows' ADD/REMOVE function to uninstall the programs. As there is no feature in Mac, is it true that I can just simply drag the WHOLE folder to the trash?

What about the extensions each program leaves? How do I monitor that? Does anybody have the best tip in installing and uninstalling programs?

I doubt if it would be possible to take note of all the files each program creates in specific folders so that I can remove them one by one once I uninstall that program.

Appreciate any input on the matter.

xyber233 Jul 7, 2001 01:04 PM
You could search for the name of the program in sherlock and drag each item to the trash.

schwa Jul 7, 2001 02:10 PM
On 9.1, any decent program that installs files outside its own folder (i.e. extensions, libraries, etc.) will leave behind an installer log. Save it. Conflict Catcher also has a great reference for figuring out who installed what in your System Folder.

Typically, though, you can just trash the app itself and you'll be fine. Windows needs the Add/Remove function because the OS abstracts programs from their file locations (you're expected to launch from the Start menu, not from a file folder), and programs litter your Registry.

OS X doesn't have extensions, so everything is pretty much self-contained (unless you're installing UNIX apps). Just trash the app.

LeonThePro Jul 7, 2001 05:36 PM
Thanks guys!

Svhwa, so that means I can create a folder and move these to contain all the installer logs under that folder? In that case, so that's what the installer logs are for. I see some lying around where I chose to install a program.

Also, why did you exclude Unix apps from the other programs under OS X? If OS X is Unix-based, are there any properties I should take note of with programs installing under this new OS that they are now "self-contained" VS Unix-apps?

<unregistered> Jul 12, 2001 08:24 AM
An easier way would be to use the original installer. Most installers come with an uninstall option!

Cipher13 Jul 19, 2001 09:10 AM
Just drag the folder ot the trash.
Most applications don't need to install extensions, even less need to put in control panels, and those that do, well, they're not mormally a problem to leave there.

Sort the Extensions folder by "date modified", and check the latest modified items Info window for information related to their owners...