MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   operation clean sweep (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/47278/operation-clean-sweep/)

posthumanus Mar 19, 2001 04:28 AM
operation clean sweep
hi everyone:

i’m currently working on ‘operation clean sweep’: making sure i don’t stuff up when doing an initialization and complete clean re-install of OS9 onto my iMac/G3.

i’ve done my homework, but a few questions remain:

initializing the HD means wiping it completely clean. this means i don’t need to defragment/optimize as well, right?

if so, procedure is:

back-up.

disconnect or turn off all except keyboard, mouse and monitor.

i want to partition this time so i slot in my ‘software install CD’, select install CD with the start-up disk control panel, then restart the iMac.

launch drive setup (on the install CD).

highlight my HD in the list.

initialization options: Low Level Format or Zero All Data (which, what, huh? i want to wipe the lot, a complete cut and polish).

choose custom setup. Use the dialog box to pick and size desired partitions, be sure partitions are HFS+.

then re-install onto both partitions (to switch b/w partitions: control panel, start-up disk, select, restart) and label everything as new.

(ps: i’m thinking of using the first 2Gb’s to store an untouchable OS and apps, then the next 8Gb’s to install my usable OS, apps, data, the place where i work, ect ... does that make sense?

create a ram disk (in my case i’d want this just for IE5/Office2001) but i only have 64Mb of ram. MS software all hogs my measly ram and i read somewhere that i might not have enough to support a ram disk?

have i got everything right, in the right order? have i missed anything?

thanks people, love your work, looking forward to hearing from you.

posthumanus over.

austeros Mar 19, 2001 10:12 AM
with the exception of the ram disk thing (i have no idea if that will work) everything looks good for you. Somepeople like having a skratch partition for temp files, user data, virtual memory, etc. you might want to consiter that aswell.

i would suggest if your goinf to get osX 1.0 that you wait till next week before you do any of the partitioning, incase there is something new or different to account for.

------------------
-rok

muttfree Mar 19, 2001 10:36 AM
QUICK....buy some more ram NOW, the prices are going back up........and, with only 64MB you wont be able to use a ram disk effectively, so you should really consider a seperate partition (500mb-1GB) for VM/scratch disk use. VM works so much better if it is targeted to it's own partition, without any other files on it, completely seperate from the OS & apps

Initializing will give you a completey clean drive, with NO fragmentation. And the low level/write all zeros option is best to insure a problem free drive, although it does add alot of time to the process, which depends on the size of the drive. Could take anywhere from 20 minutes for a small drive to as long as 2 hours for a 60GB or larger drive............

HTH http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif

posthumanus Mar 25, 2001 05:44 AM
quote muttfree: "you should really consider a seperate partition (500mb-1GB) for VM/scratch disk use. VM works so much better if it is targeted to it's own partition, without any other files on it, completely seperate from the OS & apps."

please explain: and i really don't understand what a scratch disk is.

posthumanus.

Cipher13 Mar 25, 2001 08:00 AM
Originally posted by posthumanus:
quote muttfree: "you should really consider a seperate partition (500mb-1GB) for VM/scratch disk use. VM works so much better if it is targeted to it's own partition, without any other files on it, completely seperate from the OS & apps."

please explain: and i really don't understand what a scratch disk is.

posthumanus.
A scratch disk is a disk used to store an applications or systems temporary files.
If you have one hard drive, and one partition, and use photoshop, then your startup disk is also Photoshops scratch disk.
Generally, scratch disks/partitions take a beating - its a good thing if its seperate, so it doesn't mess with other files (it won't anyway generally, but there may be a slow down due to messy desktop files sometimes), and you can erase it often to clean it up, with no loss of important files.

Cipher13

posthumanus Mar 25, 2001 08:24 AM
thanks Cipher:

not doing anything fancy, i guess i don't really need one, so i won't get one. i'm really into having a minimalist system going here. the less clutter, the less can go wrong, i figure.

ps: you'd better watch your back. i'm up to 90 posts now, and closing.

ha ha.

posthumanus shall return.

muttfree Mar 26, 2001 10:11 PM
well, one of the main advantages to using scratch disks is that if you use apps like photoshop that need large amounts of unfragmented, contigous free disk space to read and write temporary files to & from, then a seperate partition or hard drive without any other files of any kind on it will give you the best possible performance from those types of apps.

In the same spirit, you can also designate a partition or HD as the space for Virtual memory, especially with small amounts of real ram available. Not only can this speed up your whole system in most cases, it will also greatly reduce the need for defragmenting, directory maintenance, and desktop DB rebuilds.

This can only lessen the chances of things going wrong, and will improve the stability and reliablity of your whole system..... OS, apps, and HD's included.

Been there, done that ! Havent had to worry about these issues one bit since setting up multiple drives (4) and partitions (9) over a year ago on my B&W G3/450 running 9.1 & X retail w/1GB ram.

If you want an in-depth scoop on partitioning, it's uses and benefits, check out this URL :
http://www.sciencequest.org/support/...mac/index.html

click on the configuration >> partitioning....serious stuff there !

HTH http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif

posthumanus Mar 26, 2001 10:42 PM
thanks for that, muttfree: top site.

posthumanus.