MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   What is causing startup delay in 9.1 (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/47477/what-causing-startup-delay-9-1-a/)

idjeff Dec 13, 2001 10:48 PM
What is causing startup delay in 9.1
This seems to have started recently, but am not sure. I have a 30-45 second delay at startup after the desktop is displayed and can't figure what's causing the delay. Did a search for the problem but could not find anything past march of 2000 and nothing helped. Any help would be great.

beige g3/384

Michael T. Doyle Dec 14, 2001 02:45 AM
I'm having a long delay in OS 9 startup, too, either when I boot into it from scratch or start it as Classic in OS X. Ever since I allowed OS 10.1 to add the "required system resources" to OS 9 the first time I launched classic, now it takes my 2001 iBook a whopping 7 or 8 minutes to finish starting up OS 9.

Just what OS X did to my OS 9 I don't know, but I sure want to find out.

Michael T. Doyle Dec 14, 2001 02:53 AM

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Michael T. Doyle ]

tinrib Dec 14, 2001 03:08 AM
try emptying the "servers" folder in your system folder. The OS is searching the network for these servers and if you aren't connected to them then it causes a delay.

idjeff Dec 15, 2001 04:57 AM
There is nothing in the "Servers" folder. Can anyone think of anything else. Is it file sharing starting up? Ram check is deactivated. What else could it be? :confused:

Cipher13 Dec 15, 2001 09:56 AM
File Sharing startup is normally pretty transparent; depends on your comp.
Web Sharing startup possibly.

But not BEFORE the desktop is displayed; considering it's after for you, that may well be it.

On a beige G3 I often work with, web sharing freezes the computer for about that long upon bootup... take a look at it.

Check out File Sharing too... turn them off and reboot.

rjc3 Dec 15, 2001 02:30 PM
my guess is also file sharing. turn it off and I bet you startup much quicker.

KidRed Dec 15, 2001 06:08 PM
Did you try the obvious? Start up with extensions off, check for delay. Start up with base extensions-check for delay. Start up with base-all extensions, check for delay. Start up wi.....you get the idea?

Usually sometyhing to do with filesharing, appletalk, or network related.

Spliff Dec 15, 2001 06:54 PM
Try this because it worked for me. Download BeHierarchic via Version Tracker. Install it and make sure you disable the Apple Menu Options control panel. Restart. Voila! No more desktop delay.

For some reason I've had this startup delay on 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2. After extension troubleshooting, BeHierarchic was the only thing that fixed it. Unfortunately, I don't know why the Apple Menu Options control panel is doing this.

tinrib Dec 15, 2001 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Spliff:
<STRONG>Try this because it worked for me. Download BeHierarchic via Version Tracker. Install it and make sure you disable the Apple Menu Options control panel. Restart. Voila! No more desktop delay.

For some reason I've had this startup delay on 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2. After extension troubleshooting, BeHierarchic was the only thing that fixed it. Unfortunately, I don't know why the Apple Menu Options control panel is doing this.</STRONG>
Apple Menu Items is notoriously dodgy. Deleting the prefs would probably have fixed your problem. For some reason, the prefs are very easily corrupted.

Cipher13 Dec 16, 2001 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Spliff:
<STRONG>Try this because it worked for me. Download BeHierarchic via Version Tracker. Install it and make sure you disable the Apple Menu Options control panel. Restart. Voila! No more desktop delay.

For some reason I've had this startup delay on 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2. After extension troubleshooting, BeHierarchic was the only thing that fixed it. Unfortunately, I don't know why the Apple Menu Options control panel is doing this.</STRONG>
It'll do that if you you have a folder alias in it which goes relatively deep :)
Such as your HD...

I shoulda thought of that :\