MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Multi-users and partitions question (

Herr Newton Aug 4, 2000 04:05 PM
Multi-users and partitions question
My current Mac is about to become a hand-me-down to the rest of the family. When they get it, it'll have a 2.0 GB drive in it which is MORE than sufficient for what they'll be doing. (exact config is a 360MHz G3, 128 MB of RAM, and a Rage Orion. Upgraded PowerCenter Pro model.)

This is what I want to do:
  • 1.0 GB partition for the OS, applications, etc. Only I would have access to this partition.
  • .5 GB Mom partition for my mom's stuff
  • .5 GB Sister partition for my sis' stuff.

Can I do this with multiusers? I know it'll let you create user folders, but will an alias to a partition work in lieu of an actual folder? I'd just try it myself but I'm not in the mood to reinstall multiusers and repartition a hard drive (I have several...) on my work machine, just to test it out.
gMan Aug 4, 2000 10:49 PM
It works fine for me when a user's folder is an alias to a folder on another volume, or even if the whole "Users" folder resides on another volume. However, Multiple Users gets grumpy if the user's Desktop Folder isn't on the boot volume. I had to create desktop folders for each user on the boot volume, and place aliases to these in each user's folder.