MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Software reccomendation for landscape design? (

Rude Jul 22, 2001 03:18 AM
Software reccomendation for landscape design?
looking for something that does 3D, price isn't a major concern, what is important is ease of use!

thanks in advance,
tomra Jul 22, 2001 07:41 AM

I guess there a basically two landscape apps. on the macplatform, Bryce 5 and World Construction Set. Bryce is easy to use, but a bit limited in some aspects. I never used WCS, but it`s supposed to be very good and unfortunately quite hard to learn. Any "mid" - range 3D - application and up are of course capable of doing landscapes, but are not easy to use. You have to be really commited to learn these apps. if they are going to do any good for you.

I would recommend downloading a demo version of Bryce to find out if it is what you are looking for. Don`t have a URL, but it`s made by Corel, so a quick net. search should let you find quickly.

Hope this helps.
Herr Newton Jul 23, 2001 02:17 AM
Originally posted by tomra:
<STRONG>I guess there a basically two landscape apps. on the macplatform, Bryce 5 and World Construction Set.
Don't think that's quite what the poster is looking for---I'm guessing they were looking for a program that an actual landscape architect would use to plan landscaping for a site.

the best I can do is point you to RISD's landscape architecture site as they've got a software listing for Macs.
Euphrates Jul 23, 2001 11:36 PM
If landscape design is indeed what the poster wants, I remember seeing in MacAddict a review of Natural Scene Designer. I think it got a good review, although I cannot vouch from personal experience whether the program is any good. Good luck with your purchase!
<ryeguy> Jul 25, 2001 02:40 AM
Check out Vecterworks. My friend is a landscape designer and that's what her company uses.
Rude Jul 27, 2001 04:04 AM
i want to thank you all for the suggestions, i am indeed looking for a software that an actual architect would use for design, i have taken a look at the vectorworks landmark 9 program. it recommends 192 megs of ram to run the program which is about 56 megs more than my old 6400 has and can hold!