MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   Rebuilding Desktop Taking Way Too Long, et al (

TonyRado Jul 30, 2001 10:04 AM
Rebuilding Desktop Taking Way Too Long, et al
Here's the problem: My GF just rec'd a new Ti. She has only a few apps so far and has ripped about 4 CDs. I, on the other hand, have about 15 gig of stuff on my Ti. Despite the fact that she only has OS 9 and OS X on her computer so far, rebuilding her desktop would probably take an entire day to complete (but I don't have the patience to wait). Mine on the other hand flies (in a relative sense). Does anyone know why this would be?

I have also found that:

(1) When clicking on an mp3 file, I get the impression that something is "trying" to open, but then iTunes never opens and the song never plays. What's up w/ this?

(2) Her "scheduled start-up" command in the energy saver control panel failed to work. I know these problems are a bit diverse, but I was thinking that they may all be related. Any suggestions??? Thanks.
Euphrates Jul 30, 2001 10:14 AM
If you have about 250-300 megs space left on the drive, you can try making a clean installation of the system. Then see if the comp is still unresponsive. If it is, then that means its probably a harddrive/other hardware problem, which means that I couldn't help you any farther, unless you wanna try backing up the entire harddrive and initializing it, which is a little extreme.