MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   ADB and OS X (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/63498/adb-and-os-x/)

dwishbone Jun 27, 2002 08:17 AM
ADB and OS X
I have heard that MacOS X has no support for ADB devices. Has anyone tried them? I was looking through the extensions manager portion of MOX Optimize and it lists ADB Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor drivers as being a part of MacOS X.
If the drivers are there...why dont the devices work with OS X?

Simon X Jun 27, 2002 08:31 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by dwishbone:
<strong>I have heard that MacOS X has no support for ADB devices. Has anyone tried them? I was looking through the extensions manager portion of MOX Optimize and it lists ADB Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor drivers as being a part of MacOS X.
If the drivers are there...why dont the devices work with OS X?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">My Apple Extended Keyboard II, the best keyboard Apple ever made, works for me. It's pluged directly into my Mac, a B&W G3 (the last Mac with ADB) and works fine.

<small>[ 06-27-2002, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Simon X ]</small>

Gene Jockey Jun 27, 2002 12:12 PM
Yeah, if OS X didn't support ADB, how could the Beige G3's be supported? Apple supports their keyboards and mice, I think the "lack of ADB support" is in reference to third-party ADB devices, which need new drivers to run in OS X. No one will write those drivers, cause ADB has been deprecated as an interface, so basically no other ADB stuff works in X.

As a fun fact, the keyboards on the TiBooks are actually still ADB. Don't ask me why.

--J

dwishbone Jun 27, 2002 12:40 PM
Thanks, I was wondering that myself...because i knew the Beige G3s and Yosemite G3s used ADB. I figured it might have been more of Apple "leaving people at the station" like they have done so often the past few years. For example the floppy drive doesnt work in a beige G3 under X. Anyway,it's good to know I won't need to invest in a new USB keyboard when I get my 8600 tomorrow.

<small>[ 06-27-2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: dwishbone ]</small>

Gene Jockey Jun 27, 2002 02:32 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by dwishbone:
<strong>For example the floppy drive doesnt work in a beige G3 under X. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks to some good folks, it does:

<a href="http://www.darwin-development.org/floppy/" target="_blank">Floppy Driver</a>.

Check it out, looks like it would work with your 8600...works with my G3.

Cheers,

--J

himself Jun 28, 2002 08:48 PM
It's too bad... i have a two-button MacAlly ADB mouse that only works with the left button in OSX. If I want full functionality, I'll have to shell out for a USB mouse, which isn't natively supported on my 8500.

jeromep Jul 5, 2002 12:14 PM
Following the logic of using ADB internal keyboards on PowerBooks, It probably hs to do with keeping USB free and open for other peripheral devices. It might also be a driver issue or a startup issue that causes Apple to continue to use ADB. Interesting though.

Luca Rescigno Jul 6, 2002 02:37 AM
I have a WallStreet PowerBook (last PowerBook to have ADB) and I use my Apple Extended Keyboard and MacAlly one button ADB mouse on it. They work fine, but then again the single button mouse should work fine anyway (no extra drivers required for just one button).

I am going to get a new computer, probably a lightly used G4 tower, in the next month or two and I like my keyboard so much that I'll buy one of those Griffin USB to ADB adapters.