MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   Performa 6400 PRAM Zombie Woes (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/63587/performa-6400-pram-zombie-woes/)

Magicite Jun 30, 2001 03:47 AM
Performa 6400 PRAM Zombie Woes
I recently sold a performa 6400 to one of my friends. When I sold it to him, it rarely started up, as it would go into 'zombie mode' where you would hear everything start moving (such as the hard drive and fan) but no video would be sent to the monitor and the 'on' light would remain off. I was assured by apple that if a new PRAM battery was put into the computer, all would be well (the computer hadn't been used in about a year so that would explain why the PRAM battery would have been shot). I did a little research just to double check, and it turns out everyone who had the problems that I had remedied the problem by getting a new PRAM battery. So, I sold the computer to the friend, he got a new PRAM battery, and the problems went away. I was quite happy that the computer worked fine and everything. However, a month later, the computer exhibited the same problems again, apparently because it had completely used up the PRAM battery. Using a PRAM batter in a months time is just a tad bit too fast (well ok about 2 years too fast!). So, my question is this. Is this a known problem at all? Have any of you who owned performa 6400's had this problem? If so, how did you remedy this? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

CyberDave Jul 4, 2001 12:47 AM
Here's my 2 on the issue. Make sure the computer is plugged into a live power outlet when it is turned off (ie, not a power strip or surge protector that gets flipped off). The Mac will use a trickle charge from the 110 AC to maintain the PRAM while the computer off, if possible. If it's not getting AC, then it has to rely solely on the battery. Not sure how long the battery would last in such a situation, but it's something I would consider. Then again, maybe your friend just got a bad battery in the first place.

Cheers,

CyberDave

jeromep Jul 7, 2001 11:13 PM
Those 4.6v brick with ribbon batteries are uniquely a Mac product. It is highly likley that the one he got was dead when he purchased it, old stock, etc. But I agree about keeping the power on to the computer.

CyberDave Jul 10, 2001 03:13 PM
Originally posted by jeromep:
<STRONG>Those 4.6v brick with ribbon batteries are uniquely a Mac product. It is highly likley that the one he got was dead when he purchased it, old stock, etc. But I agree about keeping the power on to the computer.</STRONG>
Originally posted by jeromep:
<STRONG>Those 4.6v brick with ribbon batteries are uniquely a Mac product. It is highly likley that the one he got was dead when he purchased it, old stock, etc. But I agree about keeping the power on to the computer.</STRONG>
Actually, they're not a unique Mac product. They're Rayovac 840 4.5v batteries and are fairly common. Or, at least they used to be. Radio Shack used to carry them in stores, but now it's an RSU (mail-order) part. Sigh. macsales.com has them for like $9 last time I checked. The Rayovac 845 would also work (same specs, etc) but is a different shape so it might not fit properly.

Dave Corder