MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180 (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/63635/power-computing-power-centre-pro-180-a/)

tony.eastwood Jul 20, 2001 09:04 AM
Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180
I have a Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180, Epson 720 printer; I would like to add a scanner that my wife can also use with her PC clone...I am running OS 8.0.

As I am interested in Adobe Photoshop Elements I see that I need to upgrade the OS to at least OS 9.0, I figure I might as well go to OS 9.1. What are the incompatibilties with OS 9.1 and are any insurmountable? I'm pretty sure I can use 9.0 on this clone though Apple don't offer support. Am I wasting my time?

Hope someone can offer advice. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Tony Eastwood

Eric E. Jul 21, 2001 05:23 AM
Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
<STRONG>I have a Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180, Epson 720 printer; I would like to add a scanner that my wife can also use with her PC clone...I am running OS 8.0.

As I am interested in Adobe Photoshop Elements I see that I need to upgrade the OS to at least OS 9.0, I figure I might as well go to OS 9.1. What are the incompatibilties with OS 9.1 and are any insurmountable? I'm pretty sure I can use 9.0 on this clone though Apple don't offer support. Am I wasting my time?

Many thanks

Tony Eastwood</STRONG>

Eric E. Jul 21, 2001 06:11 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
[QB]I have a Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180, Epson 720 printer; I would like to add a scanner that my wife can also use with her PC clone...I am running OS 8.0.

I have a PCP 210, and I'm currently running 9.0.4 in it. I don't have a scanner, but my HP 970 Printer is attached via a USB/Firewire PCI Card. I've heard of guys running 9.1 in these machines, so it's possible. But if your present OS is version 8, this is how I'd upgrade to 9.1:

1) purchasing the full version of 9.1
2) back-up your files
3) initialize the hard drive
4) do the full install from the OS 9.1 CD, and when completed
5) install the files from your back-up into your computer

It shouldn't take more than a few hours, depending on how fast you back-up your files.

Eric

Eric E. Jul 21, 2001 07:06 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
[QB]I have a Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180, Epson 720 printer; I would like to add a scanner that my wife can also use with her PC clone...I am running OS 8.0.

I have a PCP 210, and I'm currently running 9.0.4 in it. I don't have a scanner, but my HP 970 Printer is attached via a USB/Firewire PCI Card. I've heard of guys running 9.1 in these machines, so it's possible. But if your present OS is version 8, this is how I'd upgrade to 9.1:

1) purchasing the full version of 9.1
2) back-up your files
3) initialize the hard drive
4) do the full install from the OS 9.1 CD, and when completed
5) install the files from your back-up into your computer

It shouldn't take more than a few hours, depending on how fast you back-up your files.

Eric

BTP Jul 21, 2001 12:07 PM
Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
<STRONG> I'm pretty sure I can use 9.0 on this clone though Apple don't offer support. Am I wasting my time?

Many thanks

Tony Eastwood</STRONG>
Tony,

No, you are not wasting your time. You can upgrade to 9.1, I have done it for many systems, yours included. I would look at dealmac.com for a deal on OS 9 (do a search).

You can even get a cheap PCI USB card and/or firewire card that will work fine too. That will give you a wider choice of scanners. I suggest looking at dealmac for that as well.

Good luck.

tony.eastwood Jul 25, 2001 07:52 AM
Many thanks for the advice given.

As always MacNN comes up trumps.

Regards

Tony Eastwood

Eric E. Jul 26, 2001 05:53 AM
I believe that you can use Photoshop Elements with OS 8.6, which is something that you can look at just in case you can't get a hold of OS 9.1.

Eric

tony.eastwood Jul 26, 2001 07:10 AM
Thanks Eric

I'll bear that in mind. I'm going to try 9 anyway. I can always revert to 8.

Thanks again for your time

regards

Tony Eastwood