MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   AOL 2.7 (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/63996/aol-2-7-a/)

gumby5647 Dec 10, 2000 05:32 PM
AOL 2.7
i wanna get my SE/30 on the net.......anybody have or know where i can download AOL 2.7? i looked around aol and can't find it

Doc Juansinn Dec 10, 2000 09:26 PM
Greetings,
I can send it to you if you really want it, but you may be disappointed by what you can, or rather can't, do with it. You can do e-mail, IM, and some FTP, and browsing. Most features of AOL can not be accessed by AOL 2.7 and you must use their own add-on browser which is old and underfeatured. Also, it will only work until AOL blocks it, which could be soon.
If you used an ISP for your connection, a better choice of browsers and e-mail clients would be available.
Anyway, post here and let me know if you would like to have it.

gumby5647 Dec 10, 2000 09:29 PM
yeah i just need it for email and occasional IM's .....i really want it just to see what its like to be online with a black and white mac.....

so uh yeah if you could email it to me that would kick butt.

gumby5647@yahoo.com

thanks a bunch!

gumby5647 Aug 13, 2001 05:36 PM
can someone send me AOL 2.7 again. Please

thanks!

iKevin Aug 14, 2001 10:06 PM
Gumby, I have it if you need it...just email me or I can contact you

iKevin

gumby5647 Aug 15, 2001 12:40 PM
just send it to gumby5647@yahoo.com

put it in a stuffit file. i think it should be able to fit on a floppy then.

superlarry Aug 15, 2001 01:08 PM
instant messaging doesn't work right anymore in 2.7. you're pretty much limited to e-mail. plus, any kind of decent modem surfing speed will overrun the serial buffer on your old mac.. you consequently end up with an overall crappy connection that will drop a lot, where the fault lies on the old mac for not being able to keep up.
this is my experience with my IIsi.

<gumby5647> Aug 15, 2001 01:31 PM
my IIci and AOL 3.0 (28.8) surf along with no problems at all. (nevermind that its Sloooooooow)

rfitz@mac.com Aug 15, 2001 03:25 PM
Wow, never knew people still used such old computers. Upgrade you fools.

superlarry Aug 15, 2001 05:44 PM
Originally posted by rfitz@mac.com:
<STRONG>Wow, never knew people still used such old computers. Upgrade you fools.</STRONG>
whoa there! it's all in fun. my LC and IIsi are happy to get use, but are superceded by my 450 Cube and 400 B&W.
we're the kind of people that can appreciate the quality of NES, atari and the like. have you thrown away your n64 in favor of the ps2? gamecube and xbox are on the way.. why did you even buy that 32 and 64 bit trash? ;c)

Mark Lechman Aug 17, 2001 12:13 PM
Originally posted by rfitz@mac.com:
<STRONG>Wow, never knew people still used such old computers. Upgrade you fools.</STRONG>
I agree that it's all in good fun. I mean, I'm not planning on trying to network my II+ and IIe and harnass the power of the 8-bit processor, but I'm not going to toss them out either. Interestingly, at my old job, we had everything from the newest G4s to the oldest, dustiest SE/30s. Believe it or not many publishing companies still do some page-layout using SEs. Also, one of my psych profs at college used an SE to access the network and perform email functions. Just because a coputer is old, doesn't necessarily make it useless.
:)

gumby5647 Aug 18, 2001 02:49 PM
right now im trying to find a Classic (w/ 4MB RAM) to use for school.

Its fun to use old stuff. Personally it gives me a rush to be able to use something so old and still get things done on it.

now, about 2.7, someone going to send that to me? :)