MacNN Forums (
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (
-   -   OSX release in a PCI, G3 upgraded mac? (

bluedog Apr 13, 2001 12:21 PM
OSX release in a PCI, G3 upgraded mac?
I've seen the instructions written, but haven't been able to get the OSX release installed on my G3 upgraded 7600 with 168MB RAM. I've had the beta installed fine on it. The release has a check that prevents the installation from working.

I'm sure its the installer that checks and stops the installation. Anyone have simpler solutions for installation? Is there a way to initiate the installation and bypassing the check for the machine ID (I assume that's how its done). Come to think of it I may try the Gestalt changer that has helped in previous issues.

Anyone know of a good solution?
bluedog Apr 17, 2001 11:51 AM
OK, after carefully following the directions I've gotten OSX installed properly. The performance is very good for a G3/400mHz upgrade card with 160MB+ RAM. Using the patches provided by Ryan Rempel (kudos!) the features that needed patching from the beta work too!

Do a search of the OSX support forum for 'OldWorld' and you'll find the links you need.

After installing the Powerlogix software to enable the L2 cache, its a VERY useable machine as a server. I don't know if I'd like the video speed because of the built in video for the 7600. But its DEFINITELY useable!

BTW, the extension "wish I were" does not have options for anything beyond the 9600 series and won't work. I found this extension at

Just a follow up to let anyone interested know.