MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Classic Macs and Mac OS (http://forums.macnn.com/classic-macs-and-mac-os/)
-   -   LC475 Playing Dead (http://forums.macnn.com/64/classic-macs-and-mac-os/64241/lc475-playing-dead/)

loudpedal Jun 4, 2001 12:28 PM
LC475 Playing Dead
I am looking at an LC475 for the preschool my daughter goes to. I had donated my old Color Classic to them when I got my new iMac and they have been calling me if they're having trouble with one of their Macs. I don't mind, I love doing this kind of stuff, but this one has me stumped.

When I hit the power switch, the HD spins for about 7 seconds and then everything stops. Nothing on the monitor, no audible activity from the CPU (except the fan). I don't have any other equipment available to double check that the monitor or video card is good. It has a Apple 13" color monitor. I have pulled the battery and verified that it is dead. Could that be causing this trouble? I've tried to boot from the system floppy but the same thing happens. I've used my old Que manual to trace the start-up sequence and I'm starting to think it may be some components on the motherboard, but I haven't been able to verify any suspicions. I have found this to be 100% repeatable although the preschool teacher says that she has seen it start up once or twice. They got this computer from another family about 8 months ago.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas for me to check out.

<Anthology123> Jun 4, 2001 01:02 PM
You are right on the mark. A dead battery will prevent the LC475 from starting up, but you will hear the fan come on, the hard disc spin up and nothing else will happen. Get a new battery and that should solve the problem. They are about 5-7 dollars now, 1/2 AA.

Walter J. Ferstl Jun 4, 2001 02:25 PM
loudpedal,

after having replaced the lithium battery, check if the RAM module is seated properly in its slot.

If it is, it could be a bad RAM module, and you would have to remove or exchange it.

At least, the 475 still has 4 MB of RAM soldered to the main board.

Regards,

Walter.

christ Jun 4, 2001 02:51 PM
Yup - definitely the battery. Dead PRAM battery has different symptoms on different macs, but on the 475 the symptoms are exactly as you describe.

Chris. T.

loudpedal Jun 4, 2001 10:35 PM
Thank you all for your input! I'll get a battery at Radio Shack this weekend and post my results.

Cipher13 Jun 5, 2001 06:07 AM
Its definately the battery, but if you're really desperate to get it running, if you turn it on and off (not quickly, but once every 15 seconds or so), it will boot up eventually. The monitor will also turn on, if the attempt was successful (if the monitor was on standby, that is).

But yeah, you need to replace the battery regardless...

Good ole pizza boxes :)

WillyB Jun 5, 2001 09:56 AM
There is one other area that I've found that you might want to check... there is a fuse inside for the monitor that may be blown out.

loudpedal Jun 5, 2001 10:21 PM
Good news! The battery was indeed the culprit. The system is up and running just fine now. Thanks again, everybody.

Incidentially, this machine is an interesting time warp. Full of Photoshop 2.5, QuarkExpress Z, Aldus Page Maker, After Dark, etc. Didn't have my old favorite Super Paint though. Fun stuff...

capone Jun 6, 2001 09:56 PM
Great news. Zap the PRAM now just to make sure it is clean. command+option+r+p.

loudpedal Jun 8, 2001 12:57 PM
PRAM zapped. Desktop rebuilt. Humming along smoothly. Thanks everyone!