MacNN Forums (
-   Consumer Hardware & Components (
-   -   Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Power Button (

subego Jan 28, 2013 01:59 AM
Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Power Button
Twice now, I've gotten tech support calls from friends asking how to turn on their keyboard.
subego Jan 30, 2013 03:39 AM
I wonder if this is getting so many reads (relatively speaking) because people see the title and think "hey... I can tell him where they hid it!"
Thorzdad Feb 4, 2013 07:51 AM
Heh. The batteries in the keyboard last so long that, when I do have to replace them, I will admit to having to stop for a moment and recall where the power button is.
subego Feb 5, 2013 04:15 AM
They drain far more quickly in the trackpad, which has the same setup, so I've had some memory burn-in.
Thorzdad Feb 5, 2013 07:42 AM
Does the trackpad drain as quickly as the Magic Mouse? That thing is a battery vampire.
Spheric Harlot Feb 5, 2013 09:08 AM
Really? I'm using Apple's eneloop rechargeables, and they last months in both the trackpad and the Magic Mouse.
Thorzdad Feb 5, 2013 09:14 AM
I'm using some non-Apple rechargables in my Magic Mouse and they rarely last an entire month. Usually closer to three weeks, and that's starting to drop with repeated recharging. Normal alkalines last, maybe, a couple of months. It's been like that since the mouse was new.
P Feb 5, 2013 10:09 AM
That likely means that the MM requires a fairly high minimum voltage to work. Most rechargables deliver 1.5V when fully charged, and then taper off more or less rapidly, relying on the fact that most things have a bit of safety margin in the amount of voltage they need to work.
subego Feb 5, 2013 05:38 PM
Eneloop, FTW.

They have a good slow drain profile, though I can't say I get months from a trackpad.
Spheric Harlot Feb 5, 2013 06:35 PM
To be fair, I don't work at the desk full days every day. More like half the time, or a little more than that,
abbaZaba Feb 5, 2013 08:05 PM
Glad I looked in here. Constant trackpad use absolutely burns through batteries. Going to try out the Eneloop rechargeables
subego Feb 5, 2013 08:15 PM
I don't use the trackpad a whole bunch. With the Eneloops I had to change them more than I'd like, but it didn't drive me batty.

I've switched to alkalines, which of course work the best, but that's only because I now have a steady supply of slightly used alkalines which it would be silly to waste.