MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Consumer Hardware & Components (http://forums.macnn.com/consumer-hardware-and-components/)
-   -   Seagate 2TB drive suddenly unwriteable (http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-hardware-and-components/498381/seagate-2tb-drive-suddenly-unwriteable/)

andi*pandi Feb 25, 2013 01:17 PM
Seagate 2TB drive suddenly unwriteable
In January, purchased this drive to back up via Time Machine my Intel Quad-core. The backup was taking forever so I cancelled it (machine was unusable during backup). I figured using a USB1 hub was not a good thing. (among other problems this machine has shown, being VERY slow.)

This weekend I buy a new hub and reconfigure my setup. I use the Firewire cord instead of usb, thinking it may be faster. I do some disk utility to check that all is well. Now the Seagate drive will mount to the desktop, I can copy from it, but is non-writeable. Selecting the drive and doing apple-i on it says it is writeable, by me, I have the permissions... disk utility says it is writeable, but trying to copy files to it I get the Circle with a slash through it.

What did I do? Should I just use Disk Utility to erase and reconfigure the Seagate? It was supposed to work out of the box. :(

BLAZE_MkIV Feb 25, 2013 01:44 PM
Maybe its just a hangover from the early days but I always re-partition / format any drive I get. Other than that I think it will take command line voodoo to get it working.

Waragainstsleep Feb 25, 2013 02:01 PM
Thats weird. Check the format on the drive in Disk Utility. FWIW Firewire is always better than USB unless you have USB 3 (and the drive supports it too). USB 1.1 is going to take weeks to run a TM backup.

Is the tickbox to ignore permissions ticked?

Spheric Harlot Feb 25, 2013 02:45 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4219123)
Thats weird. Check the format on the drive in Disk Utility. FWIW Firewire is always better than USB unless you have USB 3 (and the drive supports it too). USB 1.1 is going to take weeks to run a TM backup.

Is the tickbox to ignore permissions ticked?
I'm pretty sure that unticking it makes the drive unusable for Time Machine.

flmiller Feb 25, 2013 06:24 PM
HD Problems
This really isn't going to help you now, but my experience indicates that the reliability of the electronics built into WD and Seagate boxes is questionable. The drives themselves may be good, but the FireWire/USB interfaces just aren't, IMHO. My (sometimes painful) experience tells me that the most reliable external HD setup comes from buying a bare drive and installing it into a quality enclosure. Currently, I'm using OWC enclosures because they have been very reliable over the years.. You may spend a few dollars more this way, but you will get quality Oxford interfaces and good customer service if you do have a problem. My $0.02.

Frank

andi*pandi Feb 25, 2013 08:49 PM
Plugged into the old g5 via USB and I can now copy files to it. :/

Intel now won't boot. Fubar'ed. I guess it's target disk mode time. :(

andi*pandi Feb 27, 2013 11:45 AM
Now it works via usb on the intel. Something wrong with FW cable? Intel still sad, but will boot slowly. backing up manually as error -36 abound. yes I know I'm f*cked. :brick:

This thread is now about documenting my frustration levels. Gah!

jmiddel Feb 27, 2013 07:04 PM
Why not reformat it and see whether that fixes things?

andi*pandi Mar 4, 2013 11:22 AM
I reformatted and it would mount via firewire again. However, that was while booted with an external rescue disk. DiskWarrior and Carbon Copy Cloner are awesome.