MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Consumer Hardware & Components (http://forums.macnn.com/consumer-hardware-and-components/)
-   -   Plugging in digital camera always comes up with three drives instead of one...? (http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-hardware-and-components/501518/plugging-digital-camera-always-comes-up/)

 
PeterParker Jun 15, 2013 02:20 PM
Plugging in digital camera always comes up with three drives instead of one...?
Hello,

my mum and I have the same camera, a Sony CyberShot DSC WX 100. It works perfectly, but there's one thing strange, though: When you plug it in, on a Mac (different on Windows, somehow), there are always three drives, one is empty, one is the normal one, as expected, containing the photos, and there's also a third one, I never really checked, I think it contains a manual and drivers or so, dunno. Hmm. It's a bit confusing, can't I change this?

Greetings,
Pete
 
OreoCookie Jun 18, 2013 10:49 AM
Can I make a guess: the memory card came with the camera, right? I reckon Sony put the manual and software on it. I'd just reformat the camera and try again.
 
PeterParker Jun 25, 2013 05:21 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4235549)
Can I make a guess: the memory card came with the camera, right? I reckon Sony put the manual and software on it. I'd just reformat the camera and try again.
Honestly, I hadn't really thought about this, but I tried earlier in the day. It doesn't work.

That's why: I tried just removing the SD card from the camera, and when you plug in the camera, it still shows two seperate drives. Apparently, the camera has a small space (around 35 MB combined) for instructions, web links etc. What should I do? Is there any way to keep these invisible? Any other ideas?

Thanks...
Pete
 
P Jun 26, 2013 05:16 AM
Well, you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. What you do is use the file /etc/fstab to register these partitions manually and disable automounting. Figure out the UUID of the disk (I think you can see it if you use the command "df", but if not, use Disk Utility) and then enter a line like:

UUID=12345 none hfs rw,noauto

Where 12345 is the UUID, "none" is the mount point, and hfs is the filesystem to use. The important part is the "noauto" flag. The problem is that you might break things if you do something wrong.
 
PeterParker Jun 26, 2013 01:00 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4236429)
Well, you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. What you do is use the file /etc/fstab to register these partitions manually and disable automounting. Figure out the UUID of the disk (I think you can see it if you use the command "df", but if not, use Disk Utility) and then enter a line like:

UUID=12345 none hfs rw,noauto

Where 12345 is the UUID, "none" is the mount point, and hfs is the filesystem to use. The important part is the "noauto" flag. The problem is that you might break things if you do something wrong.
So I tried

UUID=disk3s1 PMHOME fat16 rw,noauto

Doesn't work, says PMHOME won't exist...?
 
P Jun 27, 2013 04:45 AM
No, that slot is the path to mount it at, so usually something like /Volumes/MyDisk - except in this case it should be "none" because you don't want to mount it. Also, the UUID is the partition unique ID, a long hexadecimal number, not the device name which might change.
 
PeterParker Jun 27, 2013 04:54 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4236608)
No, that slot is the path to mount it at, so usually something like /Volumes/MyDisk - except in this case it should be "none" because you don't want to mount it. Also, the UUID is the partition unique ID, a long hexadecimal number, not the device name which might change.
Ah, I'll see... btw, you could change your sacred signature to "current", I thought...
 
P Jun 27, 2013 05:21 AM
That's an idea. I've been trying to come up with a new signature for when the new MP launches, but I'm not sure what to complain about now. The one big flaw in the entire Mac ecosystem now is HFS+, but I'm not sure that Apple will ever do something about that.
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2