MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Consumer Hardware & Components (http://forums.macnn.com/consumer-hardware-and-components/)
-   -   Praise for Apple Magic Mouse (http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-hardware-and-components/502020/praise-for-apple-magic-mouse/)

mindwaves Jul 6, 2013 12:45 AM
Praise for Apple Magic Mouse
Perhaps the best mouse Apple has ever made since the Apple Desktop Bus Mouse. The Mighty Mouse ball kept on not working because the ball was dirty and the Apple Pro Mouse never tracked well for me.

The Magic Mouse with its multi-gestures are very nice. I have heard that the battery life is not so good, so I have to wait if it bears out for me (only used for 2-3 days).

Not as good as my Logictech MX 500, which is very nice and still working!

ghporter Jul 6, 2013 08:25 AM
I agree: the Magic Mouse is an excellent mouse, and while it still needs an occasional cleaning, that's a hygiene issue, not a functional problem, like with the Mighty Mouse. As long as the computer it's linked to sleeps, (and you aren't using it 24/7) the Magic Mouse's battery life ain't bad. When I got mine, I started keeping track of battery usage. At the time I was using my iMac about 3 hours a day, with LOTS of mouse action, and I typically got roughly 90 days out of a pair of alkaline batteries. Since I got the Apple rechargeable batteries and their charger, I found that the NiMH batteries last about the same length of time on a full charge.

Obviously more usage will also mean more frequent charge/replace cycles, but the Magic Mouse tells you when you're getting low, so it's no major issue.

mindwaves Jul 6, 2013 12:14 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of getting the battery charger. Glad to see it works well.

angelmb Jul 7, 2013 02:56 AM
Well, I still can't get used to its shape as I much prefer the rounded edges of the Mighty Mouse. I miss the tactile capability of the Magic Mouse though.

Spheric Harlot Jul 7, 2013 03:28 AM
Magic Mouse was my favorite mouse ever until the Magic Trackpad came out.

And yes, I'm very happy with the Battery Charger (I bought the Apple one along with the Trackpad; I have no idea whether it's still as price-competitive as it was back then).

shifuimam Jul 8, 2013 09:25 AM
You could always get one of these so you aren't constantly swapping batteries:

Mobee Magic Charger for Apple Magic Mouse - Apple Store (U.S.)

I'd marry my Logitech MX1100 if I could.

Spheric Harlot Jul 8, 2013 09:46 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by shifuimam (Post 4237699)
You could always get one of these so you aren't constantly swapping batteries:

Mobee Magic Charger for Apple Magic Mouse - Apple Store (U.S.)
The Mobee Chargers are yet another thing sitting on your desk (albeit a rather stylish one), and I heard from customers that they actually take ages to charge the mouse. So kind of nice to have, but not really worth it, apparently.

Did you have better feedback when you still worked in retail?

Thorzdad Jul 8, 2013 06:05 PM
I do like my Magic Mouse a lot. It eats batteries pretty quickly, though. And the skids on the bottom seems to grab every microscopic piece of whatever, making me constantly wiping it off. But, it really is the best mouse Apple has ever made.

That said, except for doing actual work, I've moved to a Magic Trackpad for my general mousing-around. The mouse is still king when it comes to doing art and design work. I just can't manage the kind of fine-point control I need with the trackpad.