MacNN Forums (
-   Consumer Hardware & Components (
-   -   Seeking new USB charging cable (

PeterParker Jul 11, 2013 10:07 AM
Seeking new USB charging cable

I bought a cool Philips bluetooth speaker a while ago. It's entirely wirelss and came without an original USB charging cable. So I want to buy one. And I already have a USB cable for my Sony digital camera, but I don't know if that really works (although the connectors do).

On the speaker it says: 5 V, 1 A.
On the cable it says: 30 V, and no A sign anywhere.

What to do? Should I get a more appropriate cable? Can I break apart anything?

P Jul 11, 2013 10:34 AM
Any USB cable supports 5V at 500 mA, but I've never heard of a 30V USB cable. Is this a cable with a charger? If so, I would stay well away, because 30V is very non-standard.
Waragainstsleep Jul 11, 2013 05:16 PM
Its probably just that 30V is the limit of what the cable could handle without melting.
P Jul 12, 2013 03:11 AM
Except that that also makes no sense without an amps rating.
Waragainstsleep Jul 12, 2013 06:56 AM
Thats a good point. Maybe it was made by crazy people.
ghporter Jul 14, 2013 09:02 PM
The cable marking could be only partial due to the way it was cut. I've seen that a lot on shorter "made" cables (as opposed to "manufactured" cables with custom, molded-on ends/strain reliefs, etc.).

It should be that "a USB cable" (with specific given ends) is "a USB cable" (with those ends). In theory, the only reason to mark such cables is to identify non-standard configurations. Of course everything works in theory, but nobody lives there, so it's best to just play it safe. Get a generic USB cable with the correct ends and be able to charge both your camera and your speakers at the same time.