MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Consumer Hardware & Components (http://forums.macnn.com/consumer-hardware-and-components/)
-   -   Best black and white laser printer under $400 (http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-hardware-and-components/503695/best-black-white-laser-printer-under/)

mindwaves Sep 5, 2013 04:45 AM
Best black and white laser printer under $400
I'm looking for an all-in-one black and white laser printer. I need to print color occasionally, but I will be using the nearby print shop for that. Has to be able to scan (both manually scan books and feed scanning) into PDF and JPG. Faxing is not important as I will not be using. 2-sided printing is important as is good drivers.

I'm looking for specific model numbers as recommendations and not "Oh, Brother printers are good."

This is for a small business which does a lot of scanning.

P Sep 6, 2013 07:33 AM
Hmm... This was tricky. The Wirecutter only recommends an inkjet in that price range (actually way cheaper) , and the laser recommended is $800.

mindwaves Sep 7, 2013 06:53 PM
I ended up buying the brother mfc-7860dw. It got good reviews and upon using it, it seems to be good. Much faster printing and scanning than the other Brother MFC it is replacing. However, upon copying a page from a book that is smaller than the scanning glass area, the outside area of the book appears to be all black instead of white (no ink). Any ideas how to get this not printed (no ink)?

shifuimam Sep 7, 2013 07:55 PM
Would you be willing to buy used?

Quite honestly, any HP LaserJet made for enterprise office use is going to be rock-solid and easy to service. I have a LaserJet 2100TN I got for free from a friend who was surplusing old hardware at his employer, and it's fantastic. It has networking, an extra paper tray, and toner lasts forever.

Maybe something like this:

HP LaserJet All in One M1522nf Printer Scanner Copier Fax | eBay

mindwaves Sep 8, 2013 09:33 AM
Used is ok, but I do not reside in the US now. I have had bad experience with HP before and have heard some bad stories about the expensive toner and drums for them. This Brother had good reviews. Everything is good here except for copying books,

P Sep 8, 2013 10:11 AM
On the copying black: hard to do anything about that, I think. If the scanner doesn't detect anything, it reads black. You can look if there is some sort of paper size autodetect that can be more flexible, but usually they only try to find known paper sizes.

On HP: my experience is that HPs professional stuff is the best bar none. I have supported old Laserjet 4MP printers with over half a million printouts on the counter with no maintenance beyond cleaning and new toner and paper. Brand toner is a fool's bargain - it's the same carbon powder no matter what you buy. Those drums and fuses are expensive, though. HPs personal printers can be utter garbage, however.

shifuimam Sep 8, 2013 05:01 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mindwaves (Post 4246400)
Used is ok, but I do not reside in the US now. I have had bad experience with HP before and have heard some bad stories about the expensive toner and drums for them. This Brother had good reviews. Everything is good here except for copying books,
You can usually get generic or refurbished toner cartridges a lot cheaper than brand-new HP ones.

I use private label cartridges from office supply stores (Office Depot, Staples, etc.) in my 2100TN without any problems.

mindwaves Sep 23, 2013 01:26 AM
Yeah, a new toner for my new Brother printer is semi-pricey. I'm going to try to manually fill it with some cheaper ink once the toner runs out.