MacNN Forums (
-   Consumer Hardware & Components (
-   -   LACIE External portable now not mounting? (

jeff k Sep 9, 2013 07:31 PM
LACIE External portable now not mounting?
I have an older 80gb rugged, and I just got a new HD on my laptop and did transfer ok over the OS on the orange Lacie Rugged to the new laptop HD But now the orange rugged wont mount. Hardware growler shows it connecting ok, but I don't see it on dekstop or DU, any ideas? thanks.
Ω Sep 10, 2013 06:35 AM
Can you see it in Disk Utility? And then I read the rest of your post. Nothing to see here. Move along.
P Sep 10, 2013 10:34 AM
Does it show up in System Profiler?
jeff k Sep 10, 2013 02:08 PM
thanks P, yes it does come up in System Profiler!

But not in DU, and not on desktop like it used to.
P Sep 10, 2013 02:20 PM
Try unplugging and re-plugging it while having the Console app open to a few interesting log files and see if you see something.
jeff k Sep 10, 2013 03:06 PM
andi*pandi Sep 10, 2013 05:01 PM
Did you lose a preference when you changed hard drives... maybe externals are not set to show up?

If not that, I had this happen once with an orange lacie also. at the time I googled and think it was an OSX bug...

Troubleshooting external hard drives that will not mount | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

have you ever connected it to a PC? Will it mount there?

External Hard Disk(s) not mounting in OS X 10.7.1 - MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2010 - iFixit
jeff k Sep 10, 2013 05:27 PM
andi, thanks for info. yeah, turns out hub issue, man, never have issues with external and hubs but the orange guys need to go directly into the computer.
Anyway, now I'm locked out of my new laptop, password not working, cannot even get cursor into password field, off to Apple!
jeff k Sep 10, 2013 09:44 PM
Sorry, new issues is actually, super duper is saying in cannot clone because it does not have good permission from the Mac HD. But it's brand new, and I checked the command i, look ok, puzzling, sent an email to Dave...