MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Feedback (http://forums.macnn.com/feedback/)
-   -   What's with these "sponsored" words showing up in our posts? (http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/284546/whats-these-sponsored-words-showing-up/)

icruise Feb 3, 2006 08:50 PM
What's with these "sponsored" words showing up in our posts?
I just noticed that certain words like "download" "data" "iPod" and "Apple" are showing up with mouseover links to advertisers. I for one HATE this...

himself Feb 3, 2006 09:19 PM
Indeed, it is annoying. i hope that this wasn't intentionally allowed by the 'NN staff.

p.s.: it also happens with "mac" or "os x", among many others.

brapper Feb 3, 2006 09:39 PM
YA THIS IS GAY.

Seriously, do it in the blogs if you want. But the individuals whose words are being "sponsored" are not intending to have their words used in this way and are not benefitting from it at all.

Lateralus Feb 3, 2006 09:56 PM
Oooh. Now this is cute.

I just deleted a thread in the PowerBook Forum created by a new member because it had one of these links in it. I just thought he was a spammer that put an unusual amount of effort into making his spam link.

I sincerely hope this isn't the road MacNN is going down because if I can't differentiate between the actions of a spammer and the actions of the people behind this board... then there is a serious problem.

icruise Feb 3, 2006 10:11 PM
According to the "what is this?" link in the advertisement, it appears to be a new policy on the part of MacNN:

MacNN.com IntelliTXT Statement
Version 1.0
IntelliTXT Privacy Information:

Vibrant Media is a Publisher-side Technology Company. Publisher-side means that all of our solutions reside on the individual server of the websites we partner with.

IntelliTXT is not downloaded to your computer.
IntelliTXT does not upload personally identifiable information from your computer.
IntelliTXT does not collect or store any personally identifiable user information.
What is IntelliTXT?

It is a third-party technology created and distributed through Vibrant Media Incorporated, developed to locate keywords & phrases found within text and link them to relevant commercial information. IntelliTXT is identified with a double-underline and all corresponding text ads are clearly marked with "Advertisement" or "Sponsored Link"

MacNN and Vibrant Media.

MacNN provides valuable content and information to internet users. IntelliTXT enhances and helps support this content by delivering relevant messages in a user-controlled format. IntelliTXT helps empower users to view relevant advertising on their own terms.

Integrity

IntelliTXT is implemented in real-time and deployed after the article has been published by the editorial team. This is an automated process that cannot influence, or be influenced by the Editorial Team at MacNN or any other partner publication. However, publishers have right to ban certain ads on their site. Vibrant Media is an active member of the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB).

How do I use IntelliTXT?

Mouse over a double-underlined word or phrase to display a "Tooltip" containing a relevant advertiser description.

For further information, click inside the "Tooltip" to go to the advertiser website.

If you don't come across a keyword or phrase of interest, simply ignore the double-underlined words and continue your reading session with no interruptions.
We are committed to continuing to protect the privacy of our readers as well as delivering meaningful sponsored links to our readers. If you have any additional questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at privacy@macnn.com.

We recommend that you review this statement periodically, as MacNN may update it from time to time without notice to its users.

chris v Feb 3, 2006 10:18 PM
Don't like it. At all. Whatsoever. Period. If that crap show up in my psots, I'll delete them myself..

Spliffdaddy Feb 3, 2006 10:31 PM
There are easy ways to block "intelliTXT".

Just do a Google search.

That being said, MacNN never fails to disappoint when it comes to doing downright annoying things in order to make a few bucks.

Voch Feb 3, 2006 10:44 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Lateralus
I just deleted a thread in the PowerBook Forum created by a new member because it had one of these links in it. I just thought he was a spammer that put an unusual amount of effort into making his spam link.
I just deleted a post I made in response to what I thought was a spam post. Let the games begin! :D

Anyhoo...I got 'em blocked with some Adblock magic. It's not too hard to find out how.

Voch

Tesseract Feb 3, 2006 10:52 PM
I hate them at other sites; I hate them here. Unlike banners or AdWords, I never click on them. Make them go away.

jasonsRX7 Feb 3, 2006 10:55 PM
Oh no, not MacNN too! There was a mass defection at another forum I visit over these stupid things. Unless these things can pay for a new Cyborg Hamster, they suck.

TETENAL Feb 3, 2006 11:12 PM
http://i1.tinypic.com/n4dw5y.png

WTF?

How can I turn this off?

iLikebeer Feb 3, 2006 11:16 PM
Can we double underline random words or our entire posts in a way that would make these useless. If no one ever clicks on them because they are hidden in our posts, what use would they be. They would have to get rid of them.

Very annoying. I though someone was just very happy about what they were linking to. Then I got sent to some random ISP advertisement. Lame. Very Lame.

Voch Feb 3, 2006 11:16 PM
"Buy a Personal Computer at Dell."

Everyone stop and think about that for a second. :lol:

Voch

Tesseract Feb 3, 2006 11:24 PM
Maybe MacNN will block the Dell ones and leave the others in place. I hope not.

Simon Feb 4, 2006 02:50 AM
OMFG. :thumbsdow: :mad: :brick:

I fscking hate this kind of advertising. Who the hell decided to put that on these boards? And when are you turing it off? It's fscking annoying. What's next? Pop-ups? Trojan ads? Why is macnn.com always trying to be such an ad whore and in doing so screwing its most loyal contributors? Morons. :brick:

Simon Feb 4, 2006 03:11 AM
OK, I'm trying to block IntelliTXT according to what I've found with google.

Using PithHelmet in Safari I blocked
*intellitxt.com*
http://text.burstnet.com/*.js

Unfortunately that hasn't removed the green crap.

Chuckit Feb 4, 2006 03:17 AM
I'm not seeing this green text, but it looks like the linked script is at http://macnn.us.intellitxt.com/intel....asp?ipid=3078, so there is no *.js.

Simon Feb 4, 2006 03:19 AM
Telling PithHelmet to block *intellitxt* doesn't do the trick either. :brick:

rparke1 Feb 4, 2006 03:31 AM
they're in the options for users too!!!

ThinkInsane Feb 4, 2006 04:06 AM
This is way too annoying. This is no good at all.

Apfhex Feb 4, 2006 04:32 AM
Worst. Advertising scheme. Ever.

I'm so sad to see this ******** come to the MacNN forums. At least before I only saw it on sites that I didn't really care about. I downloaded SafariBlock and added *intellitxt* to the filters (it does say * works as wildcard) and it doesn't seem to do any good.

[edit]I had the "TXT" in "intelliTXT" in the filter list in caps like that. Making it lowercase seemed to do the trick, d'oh. Now I don't see any of this crap on the websites I know have it.

baw Feb 4, 2006 06:29 AM
I've reported this SPAM.

Kevin Feb 4, 2006 07:19 AM
I hope this was a mistake...

iLikebeer Feb 4, 2006 07:34 AM
Somebody email me when it's gone. MacNN was my top bookmark since '99. No macnn bookmark anymore. Needed an excuse to break this habit anyway. :)

Kevin Feb 4, 2006 08:02 AM
Yeah Harmony Central was doing this, till people started manually changing said links, or added their own perverse ones. ;)

If they don't switch it back, this could be fun. ;)

Maflynn Feb 4, 2006 08:41 AM
Hate it, and it really makes posting/reading a pain.

If the owners of Macnn are not careful they will start losing people here. This marketing scheme has that ability to drive people away - I don't think that's what they had intended with this lame brain idea.

Edit:
Let me just add this, why not focus on the stabiity issue. Macnn has been horrible in 2005, why not fix what's wrong instead of adding things that people hate

Railroader Feb 4, 2006 08:43 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by iLikebeer
Somebody email me when it's gone. MacNN was my top bookmark since '99. No macnn bookmark anymore. Needed an excuse to break this habit anyway. :)
I hear ya.

Athens Feb 4, 2006 08:49 AM
Im reporting every single one I see as spam and I think every user should do the same.

Mastrap Feb 4, 2006 09:06 AM
Hate it. Have you guys at macnn completely lost it?
The benefit of a forum is that you receive trusted information from your peers. Adding spam links into posts is a moronic thing to do.

I really don't want to mouse-over every single link just to make sure if it's relevant information and not spam inserted by the management of all people. In all honesty, this is the most idiotic thing I've ever seen implemented on any forum I have ever visited.

chris v Feb 4, 2006 09:08 AM

Athens Feb 4, 2006 09:10 AM
from now on every post I make anything that gets spam in it im changing with a dot. Example ipod to i.pod, apple to a.pple. I am also going to send nasty emails to every advertiser I come across.

Spliffdaddy Feb 4, 2006 09:56 AM
macnn.us.intellitxt.com

That's the source of the BS.

If you block that URL (wildcards don't seem to work) then you're good to go.

IE users can simply add it to the 'hosts' file (windows, system32, drivers, etc). Also, it can be blocked using a firewall app. There's prolly a way to block it in a Mozilla-based browser, too.

I don't own a Mac, but you can figure it out. When you do, post it in every forum and make it a sticky.

tooki Feb 4, 2006 10:07 AM
Rest assured that we forum admins*/mods had no say in this, and consider it at least as offensive as you do. I will fight this tooth and nail. Inline advertising is something only super-crappy, super-greedy sites resort to, and it severely impacts usability.

tooki

*Nick is a MacNN staff member, and should not be considered part of the forum team.

tooki Feb 4, 2006 10:17 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by brapper
YA THIS IS GAY.

Seriously, do it in the blogs if you want. But the individuals whose words are being "sponsored" are not intending to have their words used in this way and are not benefitting from it at all.
Do not use "gay" as an all-purpose negative. It is offensive and will get you banned if done again.

tooki

Kerrigan Feb 4, 2006 10:21 AM
Hey, I for one LOVE this. I have seen the future, and it is intellitxt. LOL buy a dell

Simon Feb 4, 2006 10:47 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by tooki
Do not use "gay" as an all-purpose negative. It is offensive and will get you banned if done again.
Do not use inline advertisement at all. It is offensive and will get your forum boycotted if continued.

Tooki, you guys are in no position to scold anyone here. I don't care how much you had to say about this and whose fault it's supposed to be. As long as macnn is acting like such an ad b!tch, you guys better just shut up, hope your loyal users don't leave, and start begging for forgivness. :stick:

If you power-tripping little dwarfs would spend just half the time you waste on playing referee on technical issues (why does macnn reliability suck so much? why are adds screwing everybody over? etc.). Instead you're feeding your underdeveloped egos. God, this place is fscked up it hurts. :brick:

[Edit. And don't even think of telling me to cool off. I'll calm down when these hideous green links disappear. Before then, you might as well get dressed up nice and warm.]

iLikebeer Feb 4, 2006 10:54 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Hey, I for one LOVE this. I have seen the future, and it is intellitxt. LOL buy a dell
:lol: But it needs a double underline!
But this is definately progress!
And I'm too lazy for each word :)

Spliffdaddy Feb 4, 2006 11:02 AM
Tell us how you really feel, Simon.

Don't hold back this time.

Athens Feb 4, 2006 11:16 AM
Rest assured that we forum admins*/mods had no say in this, and consider it at least as offensive as you do. I will fight this tooth and nail. Inline advertising is something only super-crappy, super-greedy sites resort to, and it severely impacts usability.

tooki

*Nick is a MacNN staff member, and should not be considered part of the forum team.
I dont think any one here is blaming any of the mods or admins.

tooki Feb 4, 2006 11:20 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Simon
Do not use inline advertisement at all. It is offensive and will get your forum boycotted if continued.

Tooki, you guys are in no position to scold anyone here. I don't care how much you had to say about this and whose fault it's supposed to be. As long as macnn is acting like such an ad b!tch, you guys better just shut up, hope your loyal users don't leave, and start begging for forgivness. :stick:

If you power-tripping little dwarfs would spend just half the time you waste on playing referee on technical issues (why does macnn reliability suck so much? why are adds screwing everybody over? etc.). Instead you're feeding your underdeveloped egos. God, this place is fscked up it hurts. :brick:

[Edit. And don't even think of telling me to cool off. I'll calm down when these hideous green links disappear. Before then, you might as well get dressed up nice and warm.]
HEY! Quit it!

Did you not just see me say how I hate these ads as much as you? How I have NO control over ads, and that I will fight tooth and nail to get them to go away? I AM ON YOUR SIDE!!!

I also have ZERO control over the servers, as I have said many times. I have been fighting with MacNN's management for YEARS to try and get them to fix these problems. I AM ON YOUR SIDE!!!

Please, you must remember that the forum admins (me, demonhood, gorgonzola) and all moderators are NOT MacNN staff members, and are not paid and are not consulted on matters like advertising. We are members like you, except that we have special buttons on the forum that let us do special things. I have no control over advertising, server configuration or maintenance, etc. Since we don't get paid (just a token thank-you gift now and then), we have no reason to want annoying ads or server malfunction: both of those make what we do harder than it should be.

So instead of attacking YOUR ADVOCATE, help me complain to management, since you feel as strongly about these ads as I do.

And you owe me an apology for the name-calling. Not only was it COMPLETELY uncalled for, it's clearly against the rules.

tooki

Athens Feb 4, 2006 11:20 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Simon

Buddy get a ****ing life, the mods and admins have no say over what the owners do. Your bring pretty unfair! And telling some one to shut up over advertisement that isnt in there control is pathetic. You really owe Tooki a sorry.

iLikebeer Feb 4, 2006 11:23 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Athens
Buddy get a ****ing life, the mods and admins have no say over what the owners do. Your bring pretty unfair! And telling some one to shut up over advertisement that isnt in there control is pathetic. You really owe Tooki a sorry.

Fixed!

iLikebeer Feb 4, 2006 11:28 AM
HEY! Quit it!

Did you not just see me say how I hate these ads as much as you? How I have NO control over ads, and that I will fight tooth and nail to get them to go away? I AM ON YOUR SIDE!!!

I also have ZERO control over the servers, as I have said many times. I have been fighting with MacNN's management for YEARS to try and get them to fix these problems. I AM ON YOUR SIDE!!!

Please, you must remember that the forum admins (me, demonhood, gorgonzola) and all moderators are NOT MacNN staff members, and are not paid and are not consulted on matters like advertising. We are members like you, except that we have special buttons on the forum that let us do special things. I have no control over advertising, server configuration or maintenance, etc. Since we don't get paid (just a token thank-you gift now and then), we have no reason to want annoying ads or server malfunction: both of those make what we do harder than it should be.

So instead of attacking YOUR ADVOCATE, help me complain to management, since you feel as strongly about these ads as I do.

And you owe me an apology for the name-calling. Not only was it COMPLETELY uncalled for, it's clearly against the rules.

tooki

Glad we have you on our side. :)
At the risk of opening your can of wrath on me, I don't expect you to go green. But is it okay if we do to protest this travesty?

tooki Feb 4, 2006 11:30 AM
I have no idea what protest you're talking about! ;)

But no, I won't stop you from using the formatting tools that MacNN offers.

tooki

Dork. Feb 4, 2006 11:37 AM
I haven't seen any of these ads. But I agree that they're lame, the first time I see them I will complain.

And I actually like the Google ads, I've even clicked on a few of them. I think it's interesting to see what kind of ads they come up given the subject matter of the thread. But since they're up in the corner and clearly identified as such, they don't bother me as much as this does. As Lateralus said, anything that combines advertising links inline with users' comments just invites confusion, and makes the forums far less useful (and will ultimately turn people away, making those ads less valuable, after all....)

Incidentally, you'll see at the bottom of this page that all Forum Contents are ©MacNN. I remember a kerfuffle a while back when some forum members realized that this included their posts, and by posting here they effectively assign to MacNN the copyright over all their posts. (Yes, even Cubeoid's! :thumbsup: ;) ) I think some members even left over this. Our current situation illustrates why this is important: if users kept the copyright over their posts, then the MacNN management would (probably) not have been able to do this without their permission. Even though it is the users that provide the content that makes the ads valuable....

iLikebeer Feb 4, 2006 11:43 AM
I have no idea what protest you're talking about! ;)

But no, I won't stop you from using the formatting tools that MacNN offers.

tooki

Protest? What protest? I just like the color green. :)
And underlining helps make people read what I say, because I'm fairly uninteresing.
I might be a MacNN conspiracy theorist, but sometimes I swear I think you're Misha. Hopefully you take that as a compliment.

chris v Feb 4, 2006 11:44 AM
Okay, I'll put my money where my mouth is. I will not have my knowledge tuned into cheap ad links. I've been helping people in the various help forums-- Powermac, Powerbook, OS X, Art & Design, etc.-- here for about 5 years now. From this point forward, I will cease to do so until those links are no longer showing up in those forums.

I'll check back in a week or so.

tooki Feb 4, 2006 11:46 AM
I suggest that everyone who finds this advertising offensive send an email to MacNN's owner. His email address is publicly posted. From the MacNN main page, choose Contact -> MacNN Staff and email Monish.

tooki

P.S. Check out my hot new custom user title...

tooki Feb 4, 2006 11:48 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by iLikebeer
I might be a MacNN conspiracy theorist, but sometimes I swear I think you're Misha. Hopefully you take that as a compliment.[/u][/color]
I assure you that I am quite a separate person. But thanks for the compliment, whatever aspect it was that you are complimenting!

tooki

Athens Feb 4, 2006 12:07 PM

here is a easy copy paste link to all the macnn staff members on there contact page. Copy and paste it into hotmails to send them all a email about how you feel about it.
Spam the mofo's

[wild array of irrelevant email addresses removed. DO NOT email anyone but the owner, since they have no say in the matter. --tooki]

Which is who? -- Athens :)