MacNN Forums (
-   Feedback (
-   -   Merging Forums (

subego Mar 3, 2013 02:15 PM
Merging Forums
Why aren't we doing this again?

I'm not asking to be a dick. I just forgot what the issue was and want to dedicate some processor cycles in my brain towards solving the problem.

This assumes there's a general consensus some merging is a good idea. I get the feeling there is.
turtle777 Mar 3, 2013 03:13 PM
Let's merge the Feedback Lounge and the PWL. :p

reader50 Mar 3, 2013 03:34 PM
We're still considering merging GUI Customization into another forum. It's gotten very hard to skin OS X, traffic there is very low, and it has no assigned mods. However, agreement has not been reached on which forum it would be merged into.

It looks like other mergers are off the table, unless people speak up. We may fiddle with categories a bit. ie - Networking may move from Enthusiast to Hardware.
shifuimam Mar 5, 2013 09:31 AM
What about merging hardware hacking and GUI customization into a single Hacking/Customization forum?
subego Mar 5, 2013 12:46 PM
Not a bad idea. Maybe the "Hack Your Mac" forum.

Shit. There goes the whackadoodle star signal.
reader50 Mar 5, 2013 02:00 PM
Enthusiast Zone
Classic Macs and Mac OS
hardware Hacking
Art & Graphic Design
subego Mar 5, 2013 02:04 PM
I originally thought "Hacking", but that word has baggage.

To be clear though, I don't mind it personally.
The Final Dakar Mar 5, 2013 02:07 PM
Hardware and software liberation?
Brien Mar 6, 2013 01:10 AM
Just 'Customization' would work. Or 'Modding'.
andi*pandi Mar 6, 2013 08:48 AM
Mac modification?

Networking doesn't belong in enthusiast. It's not a hobby or use case... When I have a networky/devicey thread to post,, I waver between it and consumer devices, so it would be helpful to group these so people can see the descriptions closer together.
subego Mar 6, 2013 12:28 PM
Should we still have a network forum, or just fold that into consumer hardware? Networking is definitely on the low traffic side of things, and the split is mildly confusing.

The only reason I wouldn't say this isn't a flat-out obvious merge is the Glenn factor.
Spheric Harlot Mar 6, 2013 04:00 PM
Networking has absolutely ZERO to do with "enthusiasm".

It is primarily a necessary evil that needs to be dealt with when troubleshooting or buying equipment, and as such belongs with defective hardware and boneheaded software questions.

The only reason it's in Enthusiast, I'd guess, is because it generally involves both hard- and software, and as such, isn't directly assignable to one of the more appropriate discussion forums.
reader50 Mar 6, 2013 04:51 PM
Enthusiast used to be Other Topics. Since networking involves both hardware and software, it fit well there. Since the rename, we've discussed where it might go instead. Hardware section probably.
subego Mar 8, 2013 05:39 AM
I'd say networking issues these days mostly boil down to hardware/firmware.
Spheric Harlot Mar 8, 2013 05:48 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4220751)
I'd say networking issues these days mostly boil down to hardware/firmware.
^ There's a guy who hasn't tried to connect to a server via SMB since upgrading to 10.7...
subego Mar 8, 2013 09:30 AM
Fair enough. :)
subego Mar 9, 2013 01:49 PM
I think the two 800 pound gorillas are merging Laptops and Desktops into one as well as iPhoad and iPhoad Apps.

That last one hurts. I've been trying.
subego Mar 12, 2013 11:46 AM
Judging by the overwhelming response, I'd say this measure passes.
ShortcutToMoncton Mar 12, 2013 01:12 PM

OS X & Apps
Classic Mac OS
iOS & Appls
Other OSes

Hardware Mods
Art & Graphic Design

Spheric Harlot Mar 12, 2013 02:09 PM
I'd put the Classic Macs in the Hobbies category.

And you forgot Networking.
The Final Dakar Mar 12, 2013 02:23 PM
Networking & Peripherals?
ShortcutToMoncton Mar 12, 2013 03:15 PM
Yeah exactly. It's a forum that probably sees less than 10 posts a month, and most seem to be about printers or routers (i.e. peripherals). I've stated my opinion on this subject many times; why these forums still exist is a total mystery to me. IMO, there should be a general rule where if a forum gets less than 10 legitimate posts and/or 3 threads in a month for more than 3 straight months, it should immediately disappear. (I would not have a Graphic Design subforum, either...what's wrong with rolling that into Applications, other than some mod/MacNN Person of Influence decided it was their pet project at some point?)

I'm against the Classic OS forum in general - it's destined to be an increasingly dead forum as time passes - but no harm in the enthusiast section, I suppose.