MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Feedback (http://forums.macnn.com/feedback/)
-   -   NewsPoster (http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/499157/newsposter/)

 
Dork. Mar 23, 2013 11:06 AM
NewsPoster
I've been quite busy lately, and in the limited time I have to hang out online, I've noticed that I've spent less time on MacNN. Today, I figured out why: I generally use New Posts to see what is going on, and 3/4 of it is taken up with NewsPoster posts about topics that I've already read about in other places and have no desire to talk about here. So I see fewer interesting threads, and then just go to Reddit or Ars Technica instead (to see what NewsPoster will post about tomorrow.) I've tried ignoring NewsPoster, but its' posts still show up in New Posts.

Does NewsPoster only post in the News Forums? If so, can I request a ban from the News forums, in order to remove them from my New Posts view?

Thank you!
 
cgc Mar 23, 2013 11:34 AM
I wish NewsPoster would just go away as it post crap articles, some out of context. Don't see the value of a stupid autobot posting junk to try to draw people in...I think it pushes people out.
 
Spheric Harlot Mar 23, 2013 12:12 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dork. (Post 4223136)
I've been quite busy lately, and in the limited time I have to hang out online, I've noticed that I've spent less time on MacNN. Today, I figured out why: I generally use New Posts to see what is going on, and 3/4 of it is taken up with NewsPoster posts about topics that I've already read about in other places and have no desire to talk about here. So I see fewer interesting threads, and then just go to Reddit or Ars Technica instead (to see what NewsPoster will post about tomorrow.) I've tried ignoring NewsPoster, but its' posts still show up in New Posts.
There's a logical disconnect in there somewhere.

All you see is Newsposter threads, which you're not interested in discussing. But if you take those away, there's hardly any discussion at all, let alone any you'd be interested in discussing.

So NewsPoster or not, it's a lose-lose, no?

I've been spending *slightly* less time here, mostly due to the fact that stuff simply isn't being discussed, and the news comments are just filled with trolls, since almost none of the regulars participate there or ignore NewsPoster outright.
 
reader50 Mar 23, 2013 03:03 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dork. (Post 4223136)
Does NewsPoster only post in the News Forums? If so, can I request a ban from the News forums, in order to remove them from my New Posts view?
Yes, yes, and done. See, you shoulda asked for the money too.

I think ignoring NewsPoster should make those threads vanish ... unless other people reply. The current behavior is a bug in my opinion. One of several things I need to dig into.

The integration idea is some of the news commenters may wander out to the wider forums. Without a source of new members, we kept declining more every year.
 
Dork. Mar 23, 2013 03:12 PM
Ahh, much better. Thank you!
 
mattyb Apr 2, 2013 12:16 PM
Please can you do your magic for me to not see the NewsPoster posts when I click on 'new posts'.

Thanks in advance.
 
The Final Dakar Apr 2, 2013 12:52 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4223142)
All you see is Newsposter threads, which you're not interested in discussing. But if you take those away, there's hardly any discussion at all, let alone any you'd be interested in discussing.
I think the argument is that Newsposter doesn't foster meaningful discussion. Given the rate of posting and the inability to apply he's little more than a spambot. The one point I would give you is by refusing to comment on News stories, regulars have re-erected a wall between the forums and the news section, stunting any attempt to get new blood.
 
Spheric Harlot Apr 2, 2013 01:59 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4224375)
I think the argument is that Newsposter doesn't foster meaningful discussion. Given the rate of posting and the inability to apply he's little more than a spambot.
NewsPoster isn't the one discussing the news in the comments. But there are actually a few comments regulars, and some interesting discussion there.

Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4224375)
The one point I would give you is by refusing to comment on News stories, regulars have re-erected a wall between the forums and the news section, stunting any attempt to get new blood.
 
mattyb Apr 2, 2013 04:36 PM
Thankyou thankyou thankyou !!!
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2