MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Gaming (http://forums.macnn.com/gaming/)
-   -   PS3, Wii or XB360 (http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/295070/ps3-wii-or-xb360/)

 
Hawkeye_a May 10, 2006 07:35 PM
PS3, Wii or XB360
I think its about time we have a new poll on this.

No need for comments or anything. just vote already :D

Cheers
 
Kerrigan May 10, 2006 07:36 PM
Why would anyone want a crappy wii?
 
Hawkeye_a May 10, 2006 07:37 PM
Ignore him guys. just place your vote :)

Cheers
 
Eug Wanker May 10, 2006 07:39 PM
Note that you can choose more than one console in this poll. That is a good thing.
 
Hawkeye_a May 10, 2006 07:46 PM
Yup. i didnt know we could actually do that, when i saw it, i thought it would make more sence given the tech-savvyness of the ppl here :)
 
Kerrigan May 10, 2006 07:53 PM
Why ignore the issue that games on the Wii are indistinguishable from GC games? Just look at Mario.
 
TETENAL May 10, 2006 08:13 PM
I'll get the one that has the official Formula 1 simulation.
 
Dark Helmet May 10, 2006 08:16 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Note that you can choose more than one console in this poll. That is a good thing.
Not that GoMac or Hawk need it. If they buy anything other than Nintendo Mario cries.
 
Apple Pro Underwear May 10, 2006 08:39 PM
i like the new controller by Nintendo
 
ort888 May 10, 2006 08:55 PM
I like all three for different reasons. I think I'm going to try and stick with the 360 and Wii this generation. I don't think I would only want the Wii however, because I'm sure you would end up getting screwed in the long run.

If I absolutely had to only get one, it would probably be the PS3, which is funny, because it's also probably going to be the only one I don't buy.
 
Dark Helmet May 10, 2006 09:05 PM
If the Wii is under $300 and the reviews and graphics are better than they are now I might consider it.
 
waxcrash May 10, 2006 09:16 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
If the Wii is under $300 and the reviews and graphics are better than they are now I might consider it.
If I had taken this poll 6 months ago, I'd say the PS3. But after finding out the price of the PS3 and now that more info has come out about the Wii, I'm seriously considering going with Nintendo. I'll probably get the Wii and wait a few years when the PS3 price drops and then pick it up.
 
Lateralus May 10, 2006 09:23 PM
Assuming the 360 gets a price drop in the fall, I'm probably gonna have to go for one.
 
Eug Wanker May 10, 2006 09:41 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by waxcrash
If I had taken this poll 6 months ago, I'd say the PS3. But after finding out the price of the PS3 and now that more info has come out about the Wii, I'm seriously considering going with Nintendo. I'll probably get the Wii and wait a few years when the PS3 price drops and then pick it up.
I am hearing some similar thoughts on other forums, although many are saying, yeah forget the PS3, but get the Wii... in addition to the Xbox 360 they already have been enjoying for 6 months. Two game consoles for the price of one, as it were.

The (not so) shocking part is that I see lots on the Playstation-oriented forums that are shifting away from the PS3 too.

I really wonder what's happening in Japan. I think the Xbox 360 will gain market share, but will still remain low there. Nintendo will really gain there methinks. The PS3 will still sell a lot of units, but will have nowhere near as big a share as I had originally been thinking.
 
mdc May 10, 2006 09:42 PM
I'll probably be getting an xbox360 sometime this week or next. I highly doubt I will be buying a PS3, but I guarantee I will be buying a Wii.

I cannot wait for the Wii. In my opinion, it is by far the most exciting thing to come out in video games in recent memory.
 
goMac May 10, 2006 10:00 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Not that GoMac or Hawk need it. If they buy anything other than Nintendo Mario cries.
Isn't it strange how desperate SWG gets the more everyone doesn't like the Playstation?

For the record, I voted Wii and XBox 360.
 
Kenneth May 10, 2006 11:00 PM
I picked the Nintendo Wii... even tho I own the xBox 360.
 
MacMan4000 May 10, 2006 11:14 PM
I'm getting a PS3. In fact I'll be pre-ordering it as soon as the local EB Games starts taking orders. Mostly just because I'm a Sony fanboy (Only their video games though, not TV's, not DVD player's, and especially not camera's).

I had a PlayStation withen a month of its release.

I drove (or had my Mom drive rather. I was too young to drive at the time) to Toys-R-Us in an other state to pick up a PS2 withen the 1st month.

I was number 3 on the pre-order list for PSP's at the local EB Games. Their list was several pages long.

Am I a fanboy? Yes. Do I care? Of course not!
 
Eug Wanker May 10, 2006 11:20 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Im getting a PS3... in fact ill be pre-ordering it as soon as the local video game store starts taking orders. Mostly just because Im a sony fanboy (only their video games though... not TVs, not DVD players, and especially not cameras).

I had a PlayStation withen a month of its release.

I drove (or had my mom drive rather. i was too young to drive at the time) to toys-r-us in an other state to pick up a PS2 withen the 1st month.

I was number 3 on the pre-order list for PSPs at the local EB games... their list was several pages long.

Am i a fanboy? yes. do i care? of course not!
Nothing wrong with that. You're allowed. ;)

The Sony fanboys will continue to buy the PS3s. What the issue for Sony though is that they can't just depend on the fanboys to make the PS3 successful. The pricing has the potential to alienate a lot of fence-sitters and casual gamers.
 
Dark Helmet May 10, 2006 11:43 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by goMac
Isn't it strange how desperate SWG gets the more everyone doesn't like the Playstation?

For the record, I voted Wii and XBox 360.

Once again your comments are well... dumb. You really sound dumb as dirt. Sorry.

If you have a look at the PS3 thread you can see how I said I was HUGLY unimpressed by the PS3 presentation. I also said they copied Nintendo's controller and Xbox's live. In fact I said the only thing I am looking forward to is the blu-ray drive.

I also said I was impressed with the Wiimote in FPS and if it was under $300 I would probably get it.

Isn't it strange that you can't see that? But I guess that is where the "dumb" comes in.
 
goMac May 10, 2006 11:58 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Once again your comments are well... dumb. You really sound dumb as dirt. Sorry.

If you have a look at the PS3 thread you can see how I said I was HUGLY unimpressed by the PS3 presentation. I also said they copied Nintendo's controller and Xbox's live. In fact I said the only thing I am looking forward to is the blu-ray drive.

I also said I was impressed with the Wiimote in FPS and if it was under $300 I would probably get it.

Isn't it strange that you can't see that? But I guess that is where the "dumb" comes in.
I'm not getting why I'm a Nintendo fanboy here. I don't think Nintendo will take the top spot in this round. I think it will go to Microsoft. Usually I post because every anti-Nintendo post you make is so.... bad... I feel the need to inject a bit of reality into your world. We all listened while you told us how badly the DS would fail and the PSP would dethrone Nintendo. It didn't happen. We also had to listen to your rants about how badly the Wii would fail, how no one would buy it, and how no one would like the control scheme. The Wii isn't out yet, but I think it's getting pretty safe to say that doesn't look to be true either.

Nothing you say about Nintendo is ever insightful or accurate. Your death predictions never come to pass. You're the Dvorak of the video game world. Anybody who attempts to inject a bit of reality into your arguments is labeled a fanboy.

My first Nintendo system ever was the N64. This should tell you how much of a "Nintendo fanboy" I am.
 
goMac May 11, 2006 12:05 AM
Also, of note, and for a healthy dose of reality, the PS3's at E3 STILL aren't in the real cases:

"Either way, it seemed as if we'd inadvertently killed a PlayStation 3. Fortunately, tech support was on hand in the form of a man opening up the outsize drawer in which the PS3 was hidden and hitting the reset button. In the process, the truth of what we were actually playing on was revealed: a huge betamax video recorder-looking dev kit, and not a sexy 'clear black' PS3 at all."

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/gam...sectionId=1006
 
Andy8 May 11, 2006 12:07 AM
Quote
My first Nintendo system ever was the N64. This should tell you how much of a "Nintendo fanboy" I am.
I miss Goldeneye on the N64. It is still one of my all time favourites.
 
Lateralus May 11, 2006 12:26 AM
Goldeneye, San Francisco Rush, StarFox64, Turok... God I miss my 64. :(
 
spectre May 11, 2006 12:29 AM
The fanboyism on all sides (Sony, micorosft and nintendo) seems a bit stupid in my opinion (then again, I am a bit of an Apple fanboy). I really see the systems appealing to different people, and I hope they all drive each other to create better systems and games. Having said that.. I think I'll probably go for a 360 when the price drops and get a Wii just for the very simple games like WiiSports and party type games. It'll probably take a while to get Wii controller to work really well with FPS and other more complex games (though i could be wrong).
 
PurpleGiant May 11, 2006 12:41 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Lateralus
Goldeneye, San Francisco Rush, StarFox64, Turok... God I miss my 64. :(
I still have mine. And it still rocks my socks.
 
meelk May 11, 2006 01:05 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
If the Wii is under $300 and the reviews and graphics are better than they are now I might consider it.
ahaha. itll be $250 AT MOST and you know it. Nintendo has never fielded a console over 200 USD. They *could* this time based on increased oil prices etc, but it would be a first. 300 is absolutely not going to happen.

before anyone decides to get lippy, proof here:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/643/643170p1.html
 
sek929 May 11, 2006 01:10 AM
I played 4-player Bond last night. Pistols and License to Kill.

Siberian Special Forces is the man.

:D

San Fran Rush was one of the most addictive games I've ever played, gotta find those keys!!
 
angelmb May 11, 2006 02:47 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Lateralus
Goldeneye, San Francisco Rush, StarFox64, Turok... God I miss my 64. :(
Wii's Virtual Console is your friend.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7664/img80449bq.jpg

same applies for older Nintendo & SEGA systems…

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9422/img80467vn.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8788/img80452tz.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/36/img80472az.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3232/img80400xn.jpg
 
willed May 11, 2006 07:11 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb
Wii's Virtual Console is your friend.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7664/img80449bq.jpg

same applies for older Nintendo & SEGA systems…

IMAGES CUT...
Whu? What's that? And how do you play the old school games on the crazy new controller? Will you be able to get a standard controller?

If you can play SNES and N64 games on the Revolution (which I will insist on calling it!) then I may actually get one...
 
Dark Helmet May 11, 2006 09:22 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by willed
Whu? What's that? And how do you play the old school games on the crazy new controller? Will you be able to get a standard controller?

If you can play SNES and N64 games on the Revolution (which I will insist on calling it!) then I may actually get one...

Nintendo also showed a normal controller.

Unlike XBOX and PS2 if you want to play older N64, NES and SNES games you need to repurchase them.
 
angelmb May 11, 2006 09:23 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by willed
Whu? What's that? And how do you play the old school games on the crazy new controller? Will you be able to get a standard controller?

If you can play SNES and N64 games on the Revolution (which I will insist on calling it!) then I may actually get one...
Virtual Console is Wii's game download service, games from the NES, Super NES, and Nintendo 64, as well as Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 will be offered via the Virtual Console download service. Is much like iTunes Music Store for gamers!

There is a controller aimed to play those games, it is really good looking IMHO:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9...classic0ex.jpg
 
Millennium May 11, 2006 10:07 AM
My wife and I have a policy: we buy a console when it has five games that we're interested in playing. Of the current generation of systems, we ended up with a GameCube, a GBA, a DS, and a PS2. The XBox only ever managed one game -Fable- while the PSP is holding at three.

Of the next generation, the XBox 360 currently has zero (one if you count Fable). The PS3 currently has three, but we've made an exception for this one: we're waiting until it has either ten games or five and a reasonable pricetag. The Wii, by contrast, currently has eight games that we're interested in, so it will probably be the first of the three that we get.

We'll probably get the PS3 eventually; they've got enough going for them that they'll eventually fulfill our criteria. I have my doubts about the XBox 360, though. Microsoft is trying to take over the industry through the 3G formula, and my wife and I don't buy into that BS. On the other hand, they do have Hironobu Sakaguchi -someone who actually understands how to make a good game- on their side now, so maybe they'll surprise us with something.

My biggest prediction for the industry, however, is that it's at a crossroads, and its name is Final Fantasy XV. XIV will be on the PS3, of course, but after that, Square's exclusivity contract with Sony ends. I don't think Square-Enix will be willing to renew that contract; the price of the PS3 will be too much of a barrier for gamers, and it won't do as well as people had hoped. I don't know whether Square will go with Nintendo or Microsoft, or possibly just go cross-system, but whatever way Square goes, the industry will follow.
 
Millennium May 11, 2006 10:11 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Unlike XBOX and PS2 if you want to play older N64, NES and SNES games you need to repurchase them.
Actually, Nintendo is considering a program whereby you can send them your copy of the game to prove that you purchased it once. They would then authorize your download and send the game back. You could then play them on the Wii for the cost of shipping the game to Nintendo and back once.

As for the "unlike the XBOX and PS2" quote, that's not really a fair comparison, viden that if you want to play N64, NES, and SNES games on these you have to delve into multiple areas of questionable legality, and most people don't bother to keep it legitimate.
 
Obi Wan's Ghost May 11, 2006 10:45 AM
Get all of them and throw a party every day.
 
Agasthya May 11, 2006 10:47 AM
I'm going to buy 6 $600 PS3s.
 
Obi Wan's Ghost May 11, 2006 10:50 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Agasthya
I'm going to buy 6 $600 PS3s.
And make a render farm.
 
meelk May 11, 2006 10:55 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Nintendo also showed a normal controller.

Unlike XBOX and PS2 if you want to play older N64, NES and SNES games you need to repurchase them.
Like you wont be repurchasing ps1 games for your psp under sonys download model right?
...oh wait, YOU WILL.
 
ort888 May 11, 2006 10:57 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Millennium
Actually, Nintendo is considering a program whereby you can send them your copy of the game to prove that you purchased it once. They would then authorize your download and send the game back. You could then play them on the Wii for the cost of shipping the game to Nintendo and back once.

As for the "unlike the XBOX and PS2" quote, that's not really a fair comparison, viden that if you want to play N64, NES, and SNES games on these you have to delve into multiple areas of questionable legality, and most people don't bother to keep it legitimate.
That sounds like a logistical nightmare.
 
Dark Helmet May 11, 2006 11:11 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by meelk
Like you wont be repurchasing ps1 games for your psp under sonys download model right?
...oh wait, YOU WILL.
I never owned a PS1. Won't repurchase game I already have no.

Actually I still have my old Nintendo systems and games so I don't need to repurchase them.

You can get an old Supernintendo systems and games on ebay for less.
 
Agasthya May 11, 2006 11:18 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
And make a render farm.

Damn straight! Toy Story style graphics.
 
Dark Helmet May 11, 2006 11:24 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Millennium
Actually, Nintendo is considering a program whereby you can send them your copy of the game to prove that you purchased it once. They would then authorize your download and send the game back. You could then play them on the Wii for the cost of shipping the game to Nintendo and back once.
That's nice and all but you can get the original games from stores for less then the shipping to Nintendo.
 
Millennium May 11, 2006 11:42 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
That's nice and all but you can get the original games from stores for less then the shipping to Nintendo.
Sometimes. It depends on the rarity of the game and the demand for it. The original Dragon Warrior is easy to find, but when't the last time you saw Crystalis in a game store? Even if you did see it, I'll bet it cost more than shipping would have.

That's the beauty of the download service: scarcity is no longer an issue. There's also talk of translating and releasing -for the first time- some of the games that never made it to US shores; Mother (the sequel to which was released in the US as Earth Bound) and the original Fire Emblem games are also both rumored.

Also, you assume that the download service is targeted at people who still have the original games and system, and just want to play them "on the Wii" as some kind of gimmick. I'm not sure that's actually who Nintendo is going for, because as far as they go, you're right; they can just keep playing the games they already own on their original systems. I think Nintendo going for people who haven't played these games before, either because the system was Before Their Time or because they couldn't get it back then for whatever reason. In other words, they're trying to capture what is coming to be called "the Long Tail". Time will tell whether or not this works out, but I think it at least stands a decent chance.

Consider: you seem to be a fairly dedicated gamer, and you have a good knowledge of older systems. So I'm guessing it's a safe bet that you use emulators for older systems from time to time. Thousands of people do. But when is the last time you emulated a game when you both owned a legit copy of the game and a console to play it on? If you've ever done that at all, it's probably been quite some time. More likely, you use emulators to play games you don't own, and for games you've never played at all. That's what people really use emulators for, despite all the legal claptrap about only playing ROMs that you have personally dumped from a cartridge you legally own.

Nintendo isn't stupid. They've been fighting the emulation community for a long time, and they know what emulators are really used for. What I think the download service represents is a change in tactics: rather than fighting the emulation community, they've decided to try and tap it as a market. If they charge a reasonable price for the downloads, they may have a major winner on their hands.
 
goMac May 11, 2006 11:53 AM
"Microsoft Corp. sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp., saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3."

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsAr...-MICROSOFT.xml
 
goMac May 11, 2006 11:54 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
That's nice and all but you can get the original games from stores for less then the shipping to Nintendo.
Keep 5 systems all hooked up to my TV, taking up space? I think I'll pass.
 
Lateralus May 11, 2006 12:12 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by goMac
"Microsoft Corp. sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp., saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3."

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsAr...-MICROSOFT.xml
Quote
"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.
Wow.
 
Dark Helmet May 11, 2006 12:16 PM
Should we recap the hype and promises Nintendo put out at the E3 before the Cube was released?
There are plenty of goodies that are worth a laugh.

Also keep in mind that the Cube being the cheapest of all 3 systems also put it in 3rd place in sales.
 
goMac May 11, 2006 12:23 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Should we recap the hype and promises Nintendo put out at the E3 before the Cube was released?
Ironic coming from the Sony fanboy.
 
Dark Helmet May 11, 2006 12:27 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by goMac
Ironic coming from the Sony fanboy.

Hey Dumb dumb. you back again and calling me a fanboy? How does my sony bashing make me a fanboy dumb dumb?
 
Dark Helmet May 11, 2006 12:29 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by meelk
ahaha. itll be $250 AT MOST and you know it. Nintendo has never fielded a console over 200 USD. They *could* this time based on increased oil prices etc, but it would be a first. 300 is absolutely not going to happen.
Nice. Now lets talk how the camecube was the cheapest and it put Nintendo in 3rd place behind even Microsoft who is new to the market :D
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2